cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon Prograf + ColorMunki Profile + OSX Sierra = inconsistent color results

Cougar1958
Contributor
Greetings:

I recently purchased a Canon Prograf 2000 printer for my custom printing business. I am currently using an Epson 7880, which I like very much.  For a variety of reasons I'm adding a CanonPrinter into the mix (mainly about easy of using third party inks--but at this point I'm using Canon OEM ink). 

I use Epson premium luster roll paper with the 7880. Multiple vendors and online claims  that the Epson premium luster paper will work perfectly well in the Canon printer. Some believe it is the same paper, or produced by the same company. I see little difference in the papers, but since I use custom profiles the small differences should go away. 

I print using an excellent program called ImageNest, produced by BlueCubit. I can make print packages with it of any size and variety efficiently layed out on a roll sheet. I cannot highly recommend this product highly enough, as well as the support and integrity of the company. They simply the best. 

I have used for several years a custom profile produced with a ColorMunki. I occasionally print from Adobe LightRoom, and use the same profile as I do with ImagNest, and the results are identical. I have a good match between print and screen on my iMac 5K running Sierra and the prints from the 7880 (and this has been true since Yosemite--no color matching problems with ColorSynch or ICC profiles on this system). 

I created a profile using the ColorMunki for the Canon Printer. The results, however, are unacceptable: with LightRoom, the images are a bit lighter than I'd like, and don't match the screen. They do not have a strong magenta cast, though, as they do when used with ImageNest. 

When I use the same profile in ImageNest, the results are strongly magenta. I noticed that when I alter color settings in the Canon Driver, they have minimal effect in ImageNest, but work as expected in LightRoom. It seems that LR and Imagenest handle the ICC profile differently and it interacts differently with the Canon driver, but also incorrectly.

I have also tried selecting Colorsync in the print driver and selecting the profile from within the driver, rather than from the app. The results are the same. 

In whatever computer or app managed color I try, the Color Munki profile for the Canon produces inconsistent and unacceptable results; the results on the same computer with the Epson 7880 are perfect. Nothing else is different except for the printer and the age of the profile.

I have reproduced the same results with two other current Macs, one running Sierra, and the other High Sierra.The results are the same as with my iMac 5K: Epson + Color Munki profile = fine. Canon + profile = too light in LR and strongly magenta in IN. 

Has anyone had this experience and solved problem? I'm chasing my tail this point. I have lots of trouble shooting experience with printers, computers, software, But this one is kicking my butt.

Many thanks!
9 REPLIES 9

Michael
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hello.

The issue may be related to double profiling of some sort.  Try printing a new, unedited image from a different program such as Preview to see if the results are more accurate.  This will help to narrow down the cause of your issue.

If you continue to have difficulties, troubleshooting with our support group will be needed to narrow down the cause of your issue. Please contact our support group using the "Contact Us" link below for additional assistance.

This didn't answer your question or issue? Find more help at Contact Us.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Thank you! 

Unfortunately, your support link and email to contact only accepts a sales inquiry!! 

I cannot contact your company for support by email using your system. 

Are you (collectively) aware of this bug?

Thanks,

Joshua

Hi, Joshua!

We checked the link and you should be able to find support options with ease.  When searching for your model, be sure to enter the correct model information.  We found your model by searching for "pro-2000" and that led us to both sales and support options beneath that.  Freel free to try again.

We hope this helps!

I have resolved the issue. 

So...in Adobe products you MAY select app to manage color and use the profile from the app. 

In other apps, you must select Printer Manages color. Then, use ColorSync within the app. How in the world would someone know this? 

Also: side note: why has Canon set the default roll paper feed to waste 2' of paper until you turn off "don't add"? What's with that? 

Thanks for suggestions, forum posters. 

Cougar1958
Contributor
I have read about double profiling and turning off print preview. I can’t find more information about how to avoid it or what else to look for. I also did a clean install on two other Macs, ruling out the need to reinstall on the Mac and which I first encountered the problem. If there is a FAQ on this topic, could you please point me to that? Thank you.

Hello.

For testing purposes, try using a different type of paper to see if the results improve.

There are sections of the Online Manual that cover color management.  Visit the following link for future reference:

imagePROGRAF PRO-2000 Online Manual

If you continue to have difficulties, troubleshooting with our support group will be needed to narrow down the cause of your issue. Please contact our support group using the "Contact Us" link below for additional assistance.

This didn't answer your question or issue? Find more help at Contact Us.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

So, if you try to your contact Canon link, you'll see that support and sales inquiries are on the same screen. Once you enter your information (below the sales section--there is no separate field for support), you are routed to a sales-related inquiry. Doesn't work! 

Happy to send a screen shot, but cannot paste to this forum thread. 

Hi Cougar1958,

Please contact us using the following link:

https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/contactus

You may always call Canon's Contact Center to speak with a Technical Support Representative. There is NO charge for this call. Please dial 1-800-423-2366, Monday-Friday 8:00 am to 8:00 pm Eastern Time, excluding holidays.

Announcements