cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon Pro-1000 won't take sheets

bellevuefineart
Enthusiast

I have a Canon pro-1000 and it won't take sheets anymore, which is kind of problematic because it's only a sheet fed printer. Every single time now with the automatic sheet feeder, it won't catch the paper. The problem isn't that little grey rubber wheel, the problem seems to the little bar that has two clips on it to catch the paper, and it seems it won't release a sheet anymore. 

Any ideas how to fix this?

16 REPLIES 16

bellevuefineart
Enthusiast

Thanks, but no, cards aren't too heavy. It won't take any sheets anymore. and as I've said, this is my second printer to do this, so I have a hard time believing it isn't a known issue with the Pro-1000. I've tried Lexjet Premium Archival Matte sheets, and semi-matte (both 8.5x11), and Epson Enhanced matte sheets, and even some of the 11x17 and 16.5x23.5" canon sheets that come with the printer when you buy it. Plain sheets. Tried it all. The feed mechanism is broken. 

Here's the video of it doing it: https://youtu.be/toNDQK-4oyE

normadel
Authority
Authority

My thought was maybe the cards you are using are doing damage to the printer.

No the cards are not damaging the printer. Sheesh. They're inkjet cards, made just for this purpose. 

JoshSnider86
Contributor

I see you keep saying you use this printer for cards. Is it necessary for this to be printed using inkjet instead of laser? Obviously if you're printing artwork you want the inkjet but if it's greeting cards or gallery name cards then a laser printer will do a much better job. Just make sure it's a straight through pass and the paper isn't making a bunch of turns when it's feeding through. I have a lot of experience with laser printers too if you decide to go that route. 

Yes, it's necessary to print them like this. They're fine art cards. They look much nicer than laser printed cards. But if you have any suggestions on fixing the PRINTER please let me know. It's the printer that is failing. The printer is the issue, not the cards. 

Hey, I saw this the other day in a gift shop and it made me think of you and a solution to your card issue. Unfortunately, it's an alternative and not a solution to the printer itself. Personally I believe the desktop models just aren't made to keep up with the production you're doing and the cost to fix them isn't worthwhile. Again, that's just my personal opinion and I don't work for Canon, I have a print shop like you. 

I came across some greeting cards in a gift store and had a lightbulb moment. This company is mounting a giclée to a piece of folded card stock with their info on the back (offset or copier printing). https://www.localcolorcards.com/wpjenner2021/stores/

If you want to find a tech for your machine find the local canon copier reseller and they should have a team of technicians that can come out and look or maybe you can take it in. To give you an idea of what you're looking for my local vendor is Ford Tech and I think you'll get a much better solution working with someone like this vs Best Buy. Locally in Pittsburgh, PA the rate for a tech is $160/hr. It maybe less if you drop it off to them. And if you buy a machine from them they offer service plans that include repairs and maintenance.

[Link removed per guidelines]

Thanks Josh. I appreciate the help. I can't find a local tech, and not sure it's worth it. Right now we're running cards on an Epson P5000. I prefer the Canon Pro 1000 for cards, but this feed thing has happened twice now, so I'm just not gonna do that again. 

I thought about the idea of gluing prints to cards, but just don't like it. I'm gonna have to find a giclee print solution for this. I might have to stick with the Epson for this, but it's not ideal at all as it's a roll printer that does sheets, and in my experience they're only good at one thing - sheets, or rolls, but not both. 

As much as I hate the cards, they have to look really good. It's a loss leader for larger prints, so they have to be excellent. Alas, it is what it is right now. 

Announcements