cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon Pixma Pro 9000

deehop21
Apprentice

I have not used this printer for years, I am worried it is no longer usable?  I want to get rid of it, but dont want to sell to someone if it is defective.  Is it ruined and do I have to hook it up to see if it works?  Help!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

If you haven't used the printer for years, even with no inks installed, the printhead or delivery system will be clogged.

The only way to safely store a printer (like this) for an extended period of time (years) would have been to remove and flush the print head and store it empty.  Even then, any residual ink left would dry and turn practically to stone. 

Nozzle check pattern, yes, you will have to do that.  Canon inks will run you about $125

No name $30-$50.  May want to start with those to determine if the printer is functioning and can be sold. 

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

rs-eos
Elite
Elite

Why not turn it on and do a self-test?

See: Printing a Nozzle Check 

or for the Mark II, see: Printing a Nozzle Check Mark II 

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

OK thanks!

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

If you haven't used the printer for years, even with no inks installed, the printhead or delivery system will be clogged.

The only way to safely store a printer (like this) for an extended period of time (years) would have been to remove and flush the print head and store it empty.  Even then, any residual ink left would dry and turn practically to stone. 

Nozzle check pattern, yes, you will have to do that.  Canon inks will run you about $125

No name $30-$50.  May want to start with those to determine if the printer is functioning and can be sold. 

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Thank you for all this helpful info!

Announcements