cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon Pixma Pro-100 Group 2 Ink Cartridge Issue

theinfinityzero
Contributor

After I setup my printer and was prompted to run an alignment test I received the error 2500.  I then ran a cleaning cycle and then a nozzle check cycle and found out group 2 (bk, gy, lgy, c) wasn't printing at all.  After several cleaning and deep cleaning attempts I still encountered this issue.  I re-read the instructions to see if I missed out on anything.  Despite it's warning, I removed the printhead to see if I left any orange tape.  I noticed that the left side for Group 1 had ink residue while the right side was dry.  Even after running many cleaning and deep cleaning cycles it was dry.

I tried my luck again after 12+ hours and Group 2 is still not working.  Everything is installed properly - ink cartridges are seated properly and the indicator lights are on for all 8. 

The only thing that managed to change is the "ink level," or rather the printer is telling me Group 2 is close to empty while a visual inspection shows a near full cartridge of ink.

I am more than frustrated at this point.  I own several Canon products, but this is the first that has been defective.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

EDIT: 01.05.14 @ 0152

I went over everything once again and found nothing out of place.  Ran the cleaning cycles again and followed up with a nozzle check and the only thing new is I've ran "out" of LGY and the rest of Group 2 ink are down to their last drops (according to the chip on each cartridge).

Now I've "wasted" ink as I am sure there's no way to reset the information on the ink cartridges (the Group 2 tanks are full!). 

This has been one major headache.  Honestly, it's a POS.  I experienced zero issues with my Canon MG3100 printer after setup and was hoping for the same experience with a more expensive, sophisticated printer. 

38 REPLIES 38

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Is this a brand new printer? And you did the set-up exactly as instructed?

Most time I find folks think they have everything done correctly just to find later on, they did indeed miss something.

I can't stress this enough. Run some blank paper through it.

1- Remove ALL the ink cartridges from the printer

2- Check that there is no residual tape on the cartridges.

3- Then clean the contacts on the cartridges (the hole where the ink comes out) as well as inside the printer itself

NOTE: Clean the contacts with a small amount of warm water on a cotton swab until no ink comes off on the swab.

4- If any of the other cartridges are low, empty, leaking or bulging, replace them with genuine and original ones.

5- Then turn off the machine and unplug it for a few minutes.

6- Insert the cartridges and check to see if the issue persists.

The printer does not work if one of the cartridges is empty, even if you are going to print with the other cartridge. So, you will need to install full cartridges in order to print. This is true even if you are going to print only in black. 

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Is this a brand new printer? And you did the set-up exactly as instructed?

Most time I find folks think they have everything done correctly just to find later on, they did indeed miss something.

I can't stress this enough. Run some blank paper through it.

Brand new. 

Yes, I set it up exactly as instructed.  I even went through the steps several times to see if I missed anything.  I've removed and re-installed the ink cartridges and printhead numerous times.  I made sure that each ink cartridge was install properly and in their designated spot.

1- Remove ALL the ink cartridges from the printer
Did that.
2- Check that there is no residual tape on the cartridges.
Did that.
3- Then clean the contacts on the cartridges (the hole where the ink comes out) as well as inside the printer itself
NOTE: Clean the contacts with a small amount of warm water on a cotton swab until no ink comes off on the swab.
Did that.
4- If any of the other cartridges are low, empty, leaking or bulging, replace them with genuine and original ones.
They are original and they are full.  The dang chips on them read "low," when they are in fact full.
5- Then turn off the machine and unplug it for a few minutes.
Did that.
6- Insert the cartridges and check to see if the issue persists.

Did that and the issue continues.

BTW, the "error 2500" came from the printer and not from your Windowsw OS?

If it is from the OS, there may not be anything wrong with the printer!

I received the error when I was running the setup > alignment.  I even tried printing an image that has blacks and grey to see if my computer was the issue, but everything came out in pinks and reds.  Running a nozzle check cycle only has Group 1 printed out.  Nothing comes out for Group 2.

Thanks for your reply.  I've done some researching myself and so far what you've posted I've tried already.  I'm leaning towards a faulty printhead and/or faulty Group 2 ink cartridges (though come on, what are the odds that all four cartridges are bad?  The PM cartridge between Group 2 is working fine.)  If nothing works, I'm going to try my luck with an Epson equivalent.

Of course you can do whatever you want but it is a fact that most people that use the Pro-100 find it to be an excellent printer.

Yours is brand new so Canon will fix anything that is wrong.

You also know you can not look at a cartridge and tell if it is full?

EB

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

BTW, the "error 2500" came from the printer and not from your Windowsw OS?

If it is from the OS, there may not be anything wrong with the printer!  Smiley Frustrated

EB

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

What do you mean,..."I removed the printhead" ?

If you did actually take the whole print head out, there may be a big problem with warranty work.  Smiley Sad

EB

Is that removable piece that had the orange L-shaped cover on it not called the "printhead"?
The instructions says that you should not remove it unnecessarily, but in my case I had to reverse the setup process to check if there might any tape left on it.
http://www.redrivercatalog.com/infocenter/articles/images/canon-pro100/canon-pro100-head.jpg

Also I don't understand what you mean by not being able to check the ink cartridge if it's empty. Are you implying I can't? The printer says Group 2 is either empty or nearing empty, but that's according to the chip on each cartridge. There are no measuring devices on any of the ink cartridges, only the chip that tells the printer the how many times it's used and possibly the amount of ink it will need for each print. In my case the chip is telling the printer that Group 2 is empty when in reality it is not. I can tell if the cartridge is empty. Mine are completely full. That is the downside to these types of ink cartridges: the chips will only relay virtual information, not physical information. If you want I could post up a short video to show you that they are full.

I could even record the bottom of the printhead and how, despite the countless cleaning and deep cleaning cycles, that Group 2's port is dry compared to Group 1.

I will see if I can remedy this, if not I'll return it.
I was looking forward to using this actually. I've read nothing but positive reviews, but along with them the negative, especially from others who have experienced the same thing I am experiencing.

What I meant, if you remove the print head and damage it Canon is not likely to replace it under warranty. It is very fragile.

What I meant is, you can not just look at a cartridge and tell how much ink is left in it.

From the Canon manual...............

• If you remove an ink tank, replace it immediately. Do not leave the printer with the ink tank removed.
  • Use a new ink tank for replacement. Installing a used ink tank may cause the nozzles to clog. Furthermore, with such an ink tank, the printer will not be able to inform you when to replace the ink tank properly.
  • Once an ink tank has been installed, do not remove it from the printer and leave it out in the open. This will cause the ink tank to dry out, and the printer may not operate properly when it is reinstalled. To maintain optimal printing quality, use an ink tank within six months of first use.
    • You cannot print if the ink tank is installed in the wrong position. Be sure to install the ink tank in the correct position according to the label on the print head holder.
    • You cannot print unless all the ink tanks are installed. Be sure to install all the ink tanks.
      • When you start printing after replacing the ink tank, the printer starts cleaning the print head automatically. Do not perform any other operations until the printer completes the cleaning of the print head. While cleaning is in progress, the POWER lamp is flashing white.
      • If the print head is out of alignment, as indicated by misaligned printed ruled lines or similar symptoms, adjust the print head position.
EB

It is possible your print head is faulty. That is why I think you should not remove it.

Once you exhaust the logical procedures, you probably need to consult Canon Service or Support.

EB

rdgipson
Apprentice

Were you able to get this resolved? I'm having the exact same issue with a brand new PRO-100. Followed the setup procedure exactly as directed. Have deep cleaned twice. Have triple checked everything and group 2 still won't print.

Thanks!

Announcements