cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Blues and Greens on Pixma Pro-100

DallasXanadu
Contributor

I've had a Pixma Pro-100 for a while, but I've never been able to get blues and greens to look anything like what I'm seeing on my monitor (which I have calibrated). I've decided today is the day to either figure it out or go a different route printer-wise. Ironically, I've used 3 previous Pixma photo printers, none of which were more than $120, with beautiful results (and which I would still be using if Canon still produced the ink for them). Nothing has changed in the hardware chain other than unplugging my previous Canon and plugging this Pro-100, and seeing the very disappointing results, so I'm to the point of thinking there's something inherenetly more difficult with printing using an expensive printer, I've purchased a lemon, or the Pro-100 is just not very good to begin with.

I've googled and seen the "blue issue" mentioned in various forums, I've tried everything I've found on them (ie nozzle check) with no luck. I've tried manual color management and several other tweaks as well. I'm using Digital Photo Professional 4 software from Canon, and I've also tried printing through GIMP, with identical results. I'm using Canon Photo Paper Pro Platinum, I've also tried Photo Paper Pro Luster. So I'm basically throwing up this Hail Mary in the hopes that I don't end up putting this behemoth of a printer in the recycling bin (or doing something much more violent).

I've inserted an image to illustrate just what a disaster I've got on my hands. Does anybody know an ancient Chinese secret I haven't discovered?

bad color.jpg

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

You would use the Tools-Preferences selection, but PSP directly overrides all that.

Have you tried printing the test file? Does it look OK?

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

1. Have you run a nozzle check?

2. Print this test image and post results. Do not make any adjustments to the image before you print it. 

http://www.outbackphoto.com/printinginsights/pi049/essay.html

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

Yes sir, that's the first thing I tried. All seems to be in order there. Since posting this, I've downloaded and printed a couple of color test patterns. Blues all look purple there as well, and I know that's not a monitor issue

bad color.jpg. I will continue to tweak color management I suppose. I'll stumble across an acceptable combination at some point.  Le sigh...

Not sure, but the cyan of your nozzle check pattern looks more blue (accurate) than purple to me.  I have a really nice video card but my monitors are not high end.   

The maroon pinkish wood planks and purple sky look almost like double color management to me, but you said your tried more than one paper type and setting(s).  Are you only printing from DPP?

You're printing on the correct sides of the paper, yes?

Maybe I'm seeing things? 

Please follow John's recommendations.  He is by far the most knowledgeable Pixma Pro 100 user (including many other things) we have here.  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

I neglected to add this comment in my first posting, but Photo paper Pro Platinum and Photo Paper Pro Luster are a very pure white paper.

Maybe its just the white balance of your screenshot, but the margin of your print is not pure white. 

What light conditions do you have? How does your print look in daylight?

You stated that your monitor is calibrated - what are your settings?

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

DCM.png

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Yes, the paper is much whiter than the picture. So I guess it's not a perfect representation of what I'm seeing, but it does show how different the two are. Further research (and the example posted right above, which looks exactly what I'm getting) have me thinking it might be double color management, but I'm not sure how that happens or how to make it unhappen. I'm using the Digital Photo Professional 4 software, which I'm assuming I downloaded from the Canon website. I've also tried just printing from GIMP and also using the default Canon printer driver. 

Another question: if I'm trying to print a test page like this one, does it matter if my monitor is perfectly calibrated? I know the strawberries should be bright red and the sky should be blue, but they're just off. It seems like if I print it straight through the printer driver it should look correct regardless of my monitor, but I'm obviously just throwing darts here (with my off hand to boot)

Capture.JPG

I'm using this monitor HP Pavilion 32q 32-inch QHD Monitor | HP® Customer Support, which I know isn't state of the art or anything, and I've calibrated using the HP MyDisplay software, which uses on-screen sliders so i'm not sure of the numerical settings. I'm thinking about investing in a Colormunki or something similar. Suggestions on a quality calibration tool that won't break the bank? I'm also thinking about running my printer through my laptop and seeing how those results compare.

David

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend
If the image you posted is a photograph of the printout of the test image then your printer is functioning properly.

It also means that the settings you are using to print are correct.

Now you need to get your monitor to look as close as possible to the print when viewing the test image on screen.

Typically the most frequent problem is brightness (why are my prints so dark).

Let me look into your monitor specs and see if I can suggest something.
John Hoffman
Conway, NH

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

I just read your post again. I now see that what you posted is a test image, not your output.

Let me get to my PC and I will post the settings you should use in DPP.

Clear any print settings yiou made in DPP and then set the driver as shown when you select Print:

Screenshot 2021-03-04 204707.jpg

Screenshot 2021-03-04 204215.jpg

Since you are ujsing DPP you may want to download and install canon print Studio pro and print through it. It will interface with DPP.

Screenshot 2021-03-04 204901.jpg

I also suggest you reset your monitor to factory default and disable the blue screen feature if there is an option to do that.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

It turns out I have generally been using Print Studio Pro from the drop down print menu in DPP, not the File>Print option. I'm not sure how you're getting to the "preference" window below in order to select color management which is highlighted. I have selected everything you suggested in Properties, except I usually select high quality instead of standard.

I'm 90% sure at this point that it's a monitor calibration issue. I'm going to try using a different one and see what happens. I'll keep you posted on my progress, thanks for the help so far!

David

@jrhoffman75 wrote:

I just read your post again. I now see that what you posted is a test image, not your output.

Let me get to my PC and I will post the settings you should use in DPP.

Clear any print settings yiou made in DPP and then set the driver as shown when you select Print:

Screenshot 2021-03-04 204707.jpg

Screenshot 2021-03-04 204215.jpg

Since you are ujsing DPP you may want to download and install canon print Studio pro and print through it. It will interface with DPP.

Screenshot 2021-03-04 204901.jpg

I also suggest you reset your monitor to factory default and disable the blue screen feature if there is an option to do that.

Announcements