cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best WAy To Print on Pixma Pro-10

JohnK821
Contributor

Hello:

Can anyone suggest the bestway to print at full resolution with the best quality on a Pixmsa Pro-10?

I can print from Photoshop, Lightroom, The Canon Program.

Usually portraits, is there s "best settings" guide on here somplace?

Using 11 x17 paper glossy.

14 REPLIES 14

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

I will try .......................

First, you must not let the printer set anything.  Turn off every bit off control it has.  You can do this with the Canon My Printer under the Printer Settings tab.  Do you know how?  I will guess, yes, for now but if you don't get back to me.

Second, you need to have your photo editor (like Photoshop) handle all the settings and color matching.  You know how to do this? I prefer Photoshop and I use AdobeRGB color space.

And lastly, it is essential you get some settings on your monitor that somewhat matches what the printer is printing.  Your printer may be doing exactly what you are telling it to do and you have no idea it is, because your monitor is so far off.  If you don't do this step, you can forget the other steps.  However, there are only a few things that you need to be concerned with. You don't need any fancy extra add-ins to do this.  No additional software or gadgets, etc.

Most people set their monitors too bright.

You must get the gray-scale very close.  You need to get the brightness very close and you need the contrast very close.

After you do these things you can make adjustments to your prints by just looking at your screen.  Because you know the monitor and printer are on the same level.  One more point, you can NOT get a printer to print every color exactly the way you saw it.  It isn't possible as all colors and adjustments effect all others.  My goal is to get the skin tones right.  That is what people notice most. Remember you are dealing with two different disciplines here.  One is colored light and the other is colored dyes.  They are not the same thing.

For instance, I know my Pro-100 tends to print darker than what I see on the monitor (typical).  So, I automatically know to set it's prints 1/3 to 1/2 stop brighter in Photoshop, in my case.  It also prints with a slightly warn tone.  Most of the time, with portraits especially, this if OK, but sometimes it is not.  In that case I adjust the "temp" setting slightly cooler in PS.

Make sure you have the correct ICC profiles and you are using Canon brand ink and paper until you get good with the printer.  Very, very important, otherwise you don't know if the printer is doing exactly what you are telling it to or not.

Important is, use the USB connection until everything is right.  You are just adding another issue when you try to set up the printing and the wireless all at the same time.  Just like using Canon branded products until it is a go.  Use a real printer USB cable.  Not just any old USB cable. Get everything right before you explore.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

This part I don't know: First, you must not let the printer set anything. Turn off every bit off control it has. You can do this with the Canon My Printer under the Printer Settings tab. Do you know how? I will guess, yes, for now but if you don't get back to me. I have figured out to use the Photoshop Settings and control. And have the paper right. But I io not know of a program called "Canon My Printer" May I know where it is? Thanks!

One more thing I'm using a Mac OSX 10.10

Also opn the Photoshop print settings window do you click the bottom left hand box thatv says "Match Print Colors"

Here are the settings I use.

print setting.jpg

EB

Ok I just switch to Adobe RGB abd love the improvement. Is there a way to set that as the defaut in CS6 Exteded so I don'thaveto dioit every time?

"One more thing I'm using a Mac OSX 10.10"

Ok, but I am not.  Your exact names for certain options may be different than Windows but they shoulod be similar and have the same function.  IMHO, it is far easier to control and adjust the printer with Windows.  You should have recieved a CD with several programs on it.  Did you install them?  Do so now if you didn't.  One will have a name like Easy Photo Print or Canon Easy Photo Print, etc.  It will be installed in the Automate tab of PS.

Am I to assume you don't now much about using PS?  The color space can be set in the Prefferences.  It will not change.  You need to do so in your camera too.  Unless you shoot RAW?

You really don't need anything except PS to print.  It is all I ever use.

EB

I'm a fairly strong used of CS6 Extended. Looking under Preferences I see Color Picker, Apple or Adobe. So I picked Adobe. There are no other relevant sections under settings that I can find. No I don't shoot RAW. I tried that but that just made me spend an excessive amount of time editing things I didn't need to. I now shoot TIFF or JPG (Fine). I am using a Nikon D3X, new. Have been doing this since 1983 when I had a Nikon FA. Setting it in my camera is the next step. Never heard of doing that before. I'm not sure where to look there is a set picture control setting but it doesn't correspond exactly to what you are talking about. Ok I just found it! Ok it is now set to Adobe. Your advice is excellent BTW, really helpful.

FYI I tried all of these settings all day long, and I got the best results, BY FAR with the simple "Preview" that you get on OSX by just double clicking on the image itself straight from the desktop. Then setting the print quality at "High". That's it.

So I compose it in CS6, and use the Print preview command (which is the easiest way to print in the Mac Environment) and that gives me the best image. All the others aren't even close. Wow.

Announcements