cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

imagePROGRAF PRO-4600 roll length is wrong

bellevuefineart
Enthusiast

Today when loading a new roll of Moab Entrada Bright white, the Canon Pro-4600 loaded the paper and said it was 86ft long, which is way off. The roll is 39 ft long. I looked in the LCD panel, and it would appear that the only change you can make is to the default roll length. So I changed the default roll length to 39ft, and reloaded the paper. Now it says that 124ft remain. 

Is there a way to change the roll length for a specific roll and tell the 4600 (or 2100 or 2600) how much paper is actually on a roll? Right now it's just laughably wrong and trying to fix it only makes it worse. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

bellevuefineart
Enthusiast

I'm figuring it out as I go along. The official answer is to use the AMX file, and if you do. the length comes out correct. This is partially correct. When I use the amx files for the media I'm using, the length that is automatically calculated somewhat correctly, but not exactly. It's off by a couple of feet. 

To do this manually, go into printer settings, paper settings, roll length (something), and set it to barcode instead of auto. The next time you load a roll, the 4600 will ask you how much paper is remaining. When you remove that roll, the printer will print a bar code at the end of the roll, so next time you load that roll it will remember how much was remaining. If you want to remove the paper without the barcode to save a few inches of paper, then manually remove the paper without using the LCD panel. If you use the LCD panel to do it, then the bar code will get printed on it. 

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

bellevuefineart
Enthusiast

Maybe I'll ask again. On the P4600 is there a way to key in the roll length? It's currently guessing, and while I can change the "default roll length" I can't find a way to key in the roll length of the roll that's on. It's very very wrong. We would like to key in the roll length when we put on a new roll to know how much paper is left. 

thanks

Welcome to the Canon Community!

The Community isn't intended for immediate assistance. If your question is urgent, click HERE to visit your My Canon Account to discover your personalized support options.

If you're outside the USA, please click HERE for support options. 

bellevuefineart
Enthusiast

Thanks. I did call Canon support and it was less than helpful. It would appear on the Canon Pro 4600 that there is no way to key in the roll length of a roll you have loaded on the printer if the printer's automatic guessing mechanism gets it wrong. 

bellevuefineart
Enthusiast

I'm figuring it out as I go along. The official answer is to use the AMX file, and if you do. the length comes out correct. This is partially correct. When I use the amx files for the media I'm using, the length that is automatically calculated somewhat correctly, but not exactly. It's off by a couple of feet. 

To do this manually, go into printer settings, paper settings, roll length (something), and set it to barcode instead of auto. The next time you load a roll, the 4600 will ask you how much paper is remaining. When you remove that roll, the printer will print a bar code at the end of the roll, so next time you load that roll it will remember how much was remaining. If you want to remove the paper without the barcode to save a few inches of paper, then manually remove the paper without using the LCD panel. If you use the LCD panel to do it, then the bar code will get printed on it. 

Announcements