cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

unable to download scan utility

pwrichcreek
Enthusiast

I've installed a G6020. When I try to download the scan-to-pdf uility, it keeps displaying this:
canon g6020 download scan utility fails_WinZip self-extractor.jpg

Clearly this isn't a Canon issue, but I was hoping maybe another user has encountered this and might be able to suggest how to get rid of it. I'll post the question at answers.Microsoft and WinZip support, and report back here what I learn there.

The result of 2 hours of searching, downloading manuals when I clearly asked for software, not manuals, leaves me no other options for downloading the scan utiity. It did enable me to download the IJ printer assistant. It enabled me to print a test page, which shows that printer is working fine. It also let me specify quite mode. That feature is dramatically better on this printer than the TR4520. This one isn't quiet. It's [shhh] silent! But pleased as I am with that, not at all pleased that I can't download the scan utiity.

The TR4520 wasn't able to correctly scan to a pdf. That's the main reason I replaced it, thinking that the scan mechanism was simply worn out. Now instead of a printer that has the scan utility software but has worn out, I have a printer that, presumably, has capable mechanism, but not the software. I still have the carton and all the packing materials that it was shipped in. I don't relish packing it all up and sending it back. I hope someone here can come up with a way for me to download the scan utility.

Bottom line is that it is a Canon issue. I hope someone here knows how to fix it for Canon--and me. 

TIA for your help.
pwrichcreek

4 REPLIES 4

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

Your issue appears to be related to your computer or software environment. 

Steps I might take to resolve:

Clear my windows TEMP directory

Start Menu > type %temp% and press enter

Delete the contents of this folder

Download a fresh copy of the installer and save to a directory other than Downloads

or

Right-click on the Self-extracting .exe file and rename its extension to from .exe > .zip

Uninstall WinZip Utility (if present) from my PC.  Windows OS includes native .ZIP file support without installing a 3rd party utility

shadowsports_0-1641750577259.png

shadowsports_1-1641751186645.png

Doing that will allow you to extract the file manually and run Msetup4.exe

shadowsports_2-1641751231820.png

The package you are attempting to run is the Full Drivers and Software Package.  Here is a link to it:

https://pdisp01.c-wss.com/gdl/WWUFORedirectTarget.do?id=MDEwMDAxMDI0NjAy&cmp=ABR&lang=EN

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

shadowsports/Rick

Your instructions were detailed and helpful. thanks for that.

There were literaly 100's of documents in TEMP. I'd delete a few then it would report that they were open and wouldn't be deleted. It doesn't tell you what program has the files open. I had to guess from the filename or sometimes there was a folder containing some files. that would help identify the owner. Finally I managed to get them all deleted.

It installed the scan utility, but it doesn't work. I have three documents in the rear "tray". The program executes and says it's scanning, but the documents are still sitting in the tray. This is probably just a naming anomaly, but it says something like "Load the documents into scanner, do not lift the cover." It's as if the software is for another printer. Or, the G6020 document was being bloiler-plated from a printer that does have a platen for scanning, so the words were a bit off. Like my old TR4520??

I wonder if it's possible that the scan utility is actually the old one for the TR4520. 

I've attached an image of the properties of the program. Who can we check with to determine whether this version of the program is in fact for the G6020.

Thanks. pwrichcreek.

canon scan utility properties.jpg

Rick,

I'm returning the printer. I spoke with Best Buy today and they said: 1) they cannot help be at the store; 2) With my "total tech" subscription of $100+ they will send a technician to my home. The first date for an appointment would be February 4.😀 Roflmao.

I didn't tell them that, with your excellent instructions, there's nothing more an at-home technician could do that hasn't already be done.

Ironically, I've reconnected my Canon TS8100. It was in the garage while I tried to locate somewhere to re-cycle it. One might expect that Best Buy wouild do that, right? Wrong. Now I need to locate the scan utility for this little puppy. Stay Tuned. I may be back asking for help with that.

Thanks. Phil.

pwrichcreek
Enthusiast

I received the following in my email:

Topic: unable to download scan utility
Date: ${thread.topicMessage.postDate}
Did it solve your problem?
Click here to view the reply and mark one as an Accepted Solution.
but I don't see that reply here. I'm not sure what "it" is, but I can say "No." I haven't been able to download the scan utility.
Phil.

Announcements