cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

sudden problem using Mac Image Capture from each of two computers

Asio
Contributor

This is confusing to me...barely sure where to start.

I have a Canon MG3020 which I have been using with an older MacPro, both for printing and scanning. After suffering with an absurdly bad HP printer, the MG3020 is great...well, except for very poor cartridge longevity. I also have a Pixma Pro 9000 MKII.

Today, while I was doing a OS upgrade, I needed to scan a document.

So for the first time, I tried to do that from my MacBook Pro (laptop), using the Mac program Image Capture which is part of the basic Mac OS. I connected the laptop to the MG3020 with a USB cable (Canon support could NOT help me connect wirelessly the day I took it out of the box, or a few weeks later when I tried again. Each agent just gave up, and thus I had no choice but to follow suit).

Now connected, I launched Image Capture and immediately got an error message:

"Scanner reported an error. A required file is missing or corrupted, or settings are incorrect. Try the installation again."

I had no idea what I was supposed to "install" given that the software is part of the operating system. But restarting did nothing. Frustrated, I decided to forget it and just wait for the OS update to finish on the other computer, since I have never had any issue with scanning from the MacPro. 

When the OS update was done on the MacPro, I reconnected the cable and launched Image Capture. Guess what happened...

"Scanner reported an error. A required file is missing or corrupted, or settings are incorrect. Try the installation again."

I've retried this several times, with exactly the same result each time.

What is going on here? Did the MG3020 just fail?

I would sure be grateful for any guidance on what to do. If I can't scan on the Canon printer, it will promptly be headed to e-waste recycling. And I'll buy an Epson.

14 REPLIES 14

Hi, Asio!

Thanks for posting on our forum! This community is designed for your fellow Canon owners to help each other out with any problems they may encounter. If this is a time-sensitive matter, click HERE search our knowledge base or register your Canon gear HERE to access additional support options.

Thanks and have a great day!

Danny, can you explain why and how the second "conversation" I started this week was merged into my first post? Yes, they were about the same basic problem, but while wrestling with it, I realized that a new development begged for a different description and new title.

Hi, Asio!  As the problems described appear to be so closely related, I determined that they would be better tackled in a single thread and merged them accordingly.  This allows the Community to see where you started, what developments have subsequently occurred, and what progress has been made.  By being able to see the whole picture, Community members can then offer solutions without missing a detail or inadvertently repeating someone else's response.

Hope that helps!

Danny, 

I suspect you just confused the situation, rather than help it, I've had NO replies since.

What I did by starting a new conversation was to re-define the situation by creating a new title, and narrowing the description of the problem.

What you did was create a tangle of seemingly related issues, that nobody can follow, and thus, no one has because the result is confusing.

Also, this morning I had a message from this forum saying I had received replies, but there are NONE. 

Meanwhile, I still have the same issue. It seems I won't get any help here.

This is a user supported forum, not a Canon help site. Getting a response/resolution requires that someone read your post, determine that they might be of help, and then post  a response. 

Sometimes a response is “try this it worked for me in a similar situation with a different device” - frequently that doesn’t work. 

Many posts go with no response since no one determines that they can help. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, M200, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, Lr Classic
Announcements