cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

imageCLASS MF644Cdw Airprint name keeps changing

fcrwx
Apprentice

I have a MF644C and about every week or so the Airprint name changes. This prevents me from printing via my Macbook Pro until I delete and re-add the printer. Under "Settings/Registration: Preferences: Network Settings > AirPrint Settings" I originally set the Printer Name to "Canon MF644C", then it suddenly changed to "Canon MF644C (dd:ed:b5)" and most recently changed to "Canon MF644C (dd:ed:b5) (dd:ed:b5) (7)". I really don't care what the name is, but why does it keep changing?

86 REPLIES 86

Stephen,

I am a tech (and have been for 25+ years). The printer has been configured with a fixed IP address for many years now and it *still* changes its mDNS name on its own, even when alone on the network. I have documented it to Canon back when I posted this thread and they accepted the bug but just NEVER FIXED IT.

Again, you referred to two manual pages that are *not* describing the phenomenon and today there is no other fix than changing the mDNS name back, just like this contributor did via a Python program.

The very least that Canon can do should be to described it as a known issue, but they don't, which is plain and simple dishonest. And you are not helping by suggesting that it is a configuration issue because many users will read your reply and just waste time trying to fix it thinking they did something wrong. They did not. Canon did.

It talks about it but not exactly.  It states that if we change the name of the printer, it affects DNS and mDNS.  That is not the problem.  The Canon system appears to be **changing the name of the printer on its own** on a regular basis, and we have to use that process to change it back so the printer will work.

It changes the name because the original/previous name is still advertised somewhere on the network instead requesting for the same name

Please I spent 2h in the hotline, everyone was really friendly and promised to escalate to engineers. Even got a call by some “tech guy” and all we could do was reset the printer with no change! Get dev on this and finally fix it please! There are other consumer inkjets where you got it working, so some one at canon must know how to fix it.

They wont do anything this thread as been on for many years… they don’t give a f.

mdecaro
Contributor

FWIW this problem has been on every version of the software for the past 2 years and on all versions of MacOS since that time.  My prior printer was an HP and the name of the printer never changed by itself.  I like this printer better, but my wife who is not savvy can't ever use the printer if I am not home to fix it for her.

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

@Cyberic wrote:

Hi Rick,

Many have suggested this IP assignment but keep forgetting this does not work on iPhone/iPad that use AirPrint by default (mDNS).

The printer is advertised to work with AirPrint and it just does not. Canon should have fixed it by now (or offer refund) but they clearly do not care. 

When your kids or wife keep complaining they can’t print, I am not sure telling them to assign a static IP address from their iPhone will do any good. 😊 

Regards

Eric 

Eric,

You don't assign a static IP from an iPhone.  You do it on your router.  (Once)

shadowsports_0-1710859716535.png

This takes care of the issue on your MAC

You then use the Canon Print Business App from a mobile Device (iPhone) in this case.

shadowsports_0-1716216215711.png

No challenges using this method.  😀

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

This doesn’t work because of how mdns works and how it was implemented in the printer. The printer an initial broadcast when it reconnects and independently if a static ip is set or not, if the name is already in cache somewhere on the network the printer will append ti its own name and broadcast under this new name.

Rick,

I know how to assign a fixed IP address. Thank you.

However, as I mentioned, even with a fixed IP address, iPhones and iPads will *still not* see the printer over AirPrint because of the bug on the name change.

So fixed IP may help on PCs and Macs, but not on iPhones and iPads, because they use AirPrint (and so mDNS).

So yes, it remains a struggle.

davidfokkema
Contributor

So obviously I've been playing around with this quite a bit. I have currently found myself in the situation where my printer has not yet changed its name, or has it? On the network, it's advertised using its original name. In the 'add printer' dialog on macOS, it shows up with its original name. Using `dns-sd -L "Canon LBP622C/623C Printer" _printer`, I can see the printer and the direct URL at which to access the airprint settings. Using that link will even connect to my printer and display the Airprint settings! Which happen to show... the name with added hex code. ARG! I'm pretty sure when I restart my printer it will show up with the changed name again. This baffles me: the printer fully functions with the unchanged name, but it has changed its configuration for the next time it boots up...?! PLEASE help me.

click here to view the gallery
Announcements