cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPF780 not connecting to Smartworks MFP4

catmandu13
Apprentice

Hi!

I have a iPF780 with a M40 scanner. Years ago this combo worked with the Smartworks MFP4 software, but at some point (about a year ago) it stopped working. When i open the software it says "Please connect a supported iPF printer".

In Windows 10 Pro, I've used the M40 calibration software to verify the USB connection to the scanner. To verify the printer connection, I can click on the printer properties and view it's current ink levels.

Yet the the Smartworks software is not detecting the printer. Any idea's here?

I really just need to use the scanner, the needs of our business shifted and we no longer print, but we do have a huge backlog of vintage prints that need scanned in. I've contacted the Colortrac, and they said the scanner is only able to be used in conjunction with the Canon printer(which...is kinda B.S. when you think about it), but nevertheless I'd love to get the full functionality back up and going.

Any help would be appreciated!! Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

peanuts
Apprentice

I am using an IPF780 printer with scanner add-on. My issue was replacing the Windows 7 PC with a Windows 10 PC and then the Windows 10 PC coming up with "Please connect a supported iPF printer"
I've been able to solve this my editing the security settings.

I've changed the permissions of "Everyone" to admin the printer and documents too

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

yoliverasPozo
Apprentice

Read here

https://www.reddit.com/r/CommercialPrinting/comments/ieosm1/comment/iwd2kl0/?utm_source=share&utm_me...

that setting the printer as default printer and\or allowing all permissions might make it work. I want to know how to make mine work without the printer, as it doesn't have any ink and will not boot fully. Just like you, I no longer print but want to scan.

bobbie_oh
Apprentice

I too think this is BS.  Just make a driver already and let it scan into any program like any other scanner 😞  I have ZERO needs for printing but didn't realize this scanner HAD to be connected with a printer.  Now I gotta throw more money at a useless 130 lb paper weight.

peanuts
Apprentice

I am using an IPF780 printer with scanner add-on. My issue was replacing the Windows 7 PC with a Windows 10 PC and then the Windows 10 PC coming up with "Please connect a supported iPF printer"
I've been able to solve this my editing the security settings.

I've changed the permissions of "Everyone" to admin the printer and documents too

bobbie_oh
Apprentice

Solved, as in scanner working without any printer hooked up to computer ? Only the driver installed?

I've edited my post, do you find an answer in my words?

Ah ok thank you 

Announcements