I just set my new printer up after lots of frustration. The instructions are very poor; written by someone who cannot put him/herself into the position of a person doing the setup.
1. Go to the Canon site and download the two files for your printer and MAC. One is the driver and the other is the setup instructions.
2. Install driver (run the downloaded program).
3. Run the setup program and select EASY setup and NO WBS BUTTON (I think it's WBS) because you have a MAC router.
4. You need to temporarily connect the USB cable between the printer and the MAC (this is NOT CLEAR in the instructions)
5. Follow the instructions and when you are finished go to SETTINGS on the MAC and select the CANON printer.
I'm sure you'll have questions and I'll help if I can. Be patient and don't hit anything or anybody.