cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will/does Canon support 5G networks?

MicMB
Contributor

I have a MF720C, a great printer that I like very much, but I cannot get it to connect to my 5G network. The only way to use it with the correct Canon drivers seem to be to step down to the 2.4G network. This is a huge problem for me since the other network is so much faster but in order to print, I have to keep changing my network on my laptop(s). I am on a Mac. From reading through forum posts here is seems that the fault is with the (older) MF720C and that it does not support 5G networks.

My question is do newer versions of this printer suppoort 5G?

I suppose my only other option is to get an extender and plug the printer into a wired network. A major pain

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Darius
Whiz

Hi MicMB,

Only a handful of our printers support 5 GHz (802.11 a or ac) wifi.  While 5 GHz wifi is faster, it has a shorter range than 2.4 GHz (802.11b/g/n) wireless communication.  Originally, the 5 GHz channels were used by routers as a carrier signal to cross-communicate with themselves, while 2.4 GHz was used to connect devices to those routers and the network as a whole.  This use is reflected in the capabilities of our older and simpler printer models.

For the 720C series, you may connect the printer to a router by a physical Ethernet (Wired LAN) connection, which will allow it to communicate with both 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz devices (depending on router settings). 

Some routers also will have settings that allow cross-communication between 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz wifi devices; these settings are often turned off by default to maintain faster 5G speeds.  Refer to your router's documentation and support for more information on whether such settngs exist on your router.

Models that support 5 GHz wifi will have it listed in their specifications, either as "5G," "5 GHz," or "802.11 a/ac".

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Darius
Whiz

Hi MicMB,

Only a handful of our printers support 5 GHz (802.11 a or ac) wifi.  While 5 GHz wifi is faster, it has a shorter range than 2.4 GHz (802.11b/g/n) wireless communication.  Originally, the 5 GHz channels were used by routers as a carrier signal to cross-communicate with themselves, while 2.4 GHz was used to connect devices to those routers and the network as a whole.  This use is reflected in the capabilities of our older and simpler printer models.

For the 720C series, you may connect the printer to a router by a physical Ethernet (Wired LAN) connection, which will allow it to communicate with both 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz devices (depending on router settings). 

Some routers also will have settings that allow cross-communication between 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz wifi devices; these settings are often turned off by default to maintain faster 5G speeds.  Refer to your router's documentation and support for more information on whether such settngs exist on your router.

Models that support 5 GHz wifi will have it listed in their specifications, either as "5G," "5 GHz," or "802.11 a/ac".

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

It's what I did. I had a Netgear Nighthawk range extender so I placed it by the printer and extended only the 5G network and wired the printer to the extender. Now at least I can stay on the 5G network and use the printer

Can anyone say whether or not the MF743Cdw supports the 5G network? The specifications only say, "

IP/MAC Address Filtering, IPSEC, TLS Encrypted Communication, SNMP V3.0, IEEE 802.1X (Wired Only), IPv6, SMTP Authentication, POP Authentication, POP Authentication before SMTP" which is not helpful to me. I don't want to buy another printer that needs a wired connection.

Greg142
Apprentice

Does the Canon imageCLASS MF269dw work with 5 GHz networks?

Hi Greg142.

The MF269dw only supports 2.4 GHz wifi (802.11 b/g/n).

Announcements