cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PIXMA TR8520 and wired Mac, printer cannot be found error

drasw
Apprentice

When I have the ethernet cable plugged int the Mac the printer # TR8520  cannot be found.  if I go wireless on the Mac no problem.  How can I have the Mac connected on Ethernet and have the printer on wireless and have the printer work

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

So I figured out the problem.  The Mac was connected directly into the Router while the wireless was running via the mesh network.  So I plugged the Mac directly in the the mesh network and it solved the issue.  Your generous input put me on the right path so thank you for all of that.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

Please start by telling us the brand and model of your router, or device that provides DHCP on your network. 

Next, log into the router and check the list of attached devices.  What is the IP of the computer?  What is the IP of the printer.  

Can you ping the printer's IP from the computer?

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

The IP address when looking at the Ethernet details is 192.168.1.3

The Modem says DOCSIS 3.1 Modem / Voice Equipment

I have to call spectrum as I don't have the login to the router.

Where do I find the IP of the printer?

Not sure how to ping the the printer?

Thanks

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

There are a few ways to verify things.  

Computer has an IP of 192.168.1.3 (noted)

Definitely get your username and password from Spectrum.  It helps in these types of situations and gives you control of your network. 

Here is an example list of attached devices.  Personal info removed, but you can see how it works.  Shows the device, its assigned IP, which broadcast its associated with, etc.    

shadowsports_0-1708696944223.png

Some ways to get the printer's IP:

View list of attached devices on your router

Use printer's control panel LCD and look for Network, Wireless, IP address, might say IPv4

If its connected, you should see the name of your wireless network / connected, etc.

Canon offers a Wireless Connection Assistant Application for windows or MAC, but checking the router or the printer directly is likely faster.  

Canon : Manuals : Checking Printer Connection Status Using Wi-Fi Connection Assistant

You can ping the IP of the printer (once known) from Terminal.  This is in the Applications > Utility folder.  Check Finder for this.  

My printer's IP is 192.168.1.99...  it would look similar to this:

shadowsports_1-1708697779615.png

The successful replies indicate the computer can communicate with the printer.  A firewall or 3rd party anti-virus might keep a printer from being detected or communicating properly.  (Not sure it applies, just mentioning it).  We can continue once you have verified connectivity between devices on your network.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

First you are amazing.  Realize that the printer is connected to the wireless and if I use wireless on my Mac it works perfectly.  The problem is I prefer having the Mac direct connected via ethernet and when I do that the printer shows offline.  I went tot he lCD screen and printed out 3 pages on Network configurations and none of the ones I typed in the terminal showed anything.  I assume I was supposed to type the word ping first as you did.  I'm calling spectrum for the login.

Screenshot 2024-02-23 at 10.47.16 AM.png

So I figured out the problem.  The Mac was connected directly into the Router while the wireless was running via the mesh network.  So I plugged the Mac directly in the the mesh network and it solved the issue.  Your generous input put me on the right path so thank you for all of that.

Announcements