cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MF644cdw - Shows Offline from MAC

kaushikn
Apprentice

I have been struggling to get this printer to work consistently on my network from my MACs. Most of the times when I try to print, I get an error.

Opening the Settings --> Printers and Scanners --> Canon 644c,

The banner says that the printer is offline.

Under the print job I get the message Priner - Unable to find printer

• The printer is on
  • The printer is close to the wifi router
  • I am using a reserved ip address for the printer (so that I have the same ip each time)
  • I can access the printer from the browser using the ip address
  • I was able to print from a moblie phone
  • I can scan from the Canon Print Business mobile app
  • I have installed the latest drivers from the support site on the PCs 
  • I have tried to use the Airprint driver as well as the Canon Support site drivers

None of the macs can consistently print using the print function. 

Anyone else face the same problem?

27 REPLIES 27

VideoGuy
Contributor

I have the exact same issue with a Macbook Air with a MF641Cw !! We have removed and reselected the printer many many times as we thought that this sometimes worked.  Right now, I am installing the latest firmware update - something about a monitoring server, related to proxy authentication - whatever that is.  We can't be the only ones having this problem and its a serious one!

upnorthwi
Apprentice

Exactly the same problem. I have the same situation. The printer will occassionally print but it takes at least 10-20 minutes for the Macbook to find it. Often it doesn find it at all. The PC connects and prints just fine. I have been at this all day. Very frustrating

Hector
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hello kaushikn,

If the Macs keep losing connection while other devices are still able to communicate, it could be caused by signal strength or a network communication issue. If the printer is on WiFi, ensure the MF644Cdw's signal strength is at least at "Good." 

<Status Monitor>  <Network Information>  <IPv4>  Select the setting to view  Check the settings

If the signal strength is poor, you can try moving the printer to see if it gets a better signal. If the signal strength is good, you can try refreshing your network connections by unplugging your router from the power for five seconds. Once the network is back up, you can try printing again to see if it responds from the Mac.

To provide additional information or to provide other options, we would need some additional information. If you could reply to the message with the information below, we would be happy to assist. 

1. What version of the Mac OS are you using on your computers?
  2. When you are unable to print, are you unable to scan from the Mac as well?

Hector: Thanks for the advice but I'm still having the same problem. The signal strength is strong (same room as router).

The Mac won't wake up the printer from sleep mode. I just get an error: "The printer may not exist or is unavailable at this time." One must physically walk to the printer, turn it off and on, and print. 

I haven't tried scanning yet. I will try that if I can get the printer to work. 

Mac OS 11.1. 

FWIW, after I installed the latest drivers/firmware, I couldn't locate the printer at all from the MAC.  I forget the option to do this on the MAC, but I knew the IP address of the printer as I had dedicated it on my router.  I told the driver to use that IP address - low and behold it worked and I've haven't had a problem in two weeks!  Fingers crossed.  Hope this helps.

Same problems. No help from Canon. Today is my last day to file a return for the printer. I have opted to send it back and purchase something else. I will not forget what a terrible experience this was.

Hi Hector - 

Thanks for responding. 

• The network connection is Good
  • I've restarted both the printer and the mac multiple times
  • Till recently, I was on OSX 10.15.7. I had the issue then. Last week I upgraded to Ben Sur. I still have the issue
  • Often times both printing and scannig are impacted. 1-2 times I noticed that the printer was offline and scanning was possible
  • Note that this is a shared network printer 
  • Sometimes I scan from one PC and then when I try to scan from another, it fails. Then I cant scan from the first PC either

kaushikn

I have the same issue. Two days ago the MF644Cdw printer was fine. Yesterday we lost power a few times and after that the printer was offline. 

The printer sits right over the router and is connected by a cable.

It is connected to my Macbook Air wirelessly.

I reset the router with no luck.

I have turned the printer off and on with no luck.

Could this be a toner issue? I get a message that toner is low, although the printing quality has not gotten worse.

I will next try to reinstall the drivers.

Hi, Gnome1!

So that the Community can help you better, we need to know exactly which version of macOS is running on your computer. That, and any other details you'd like to give will help the Community better understand your issue!

If this is a time-sensitive matter, click HERE search our knowledge base or find additional support options HERE.

Thanks and have a great day!

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements