cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MF644CDW - Install won't find it on the network?

clucksted
Contributor

I have an MF644CDW connected WIRED to my home network. My PC is also wired and connected to the same switch as the printer. They printer has a reserved IP, and from my PC I am able to browse to the Web UI and interact with the printer.

When I run the install for the drivers and select network, it is unable to scan and find the printer, or find it by IP. I have remove all Canon drivers, registry entries, and software, turned off all IPv6, etc. The "Add Printer" in Windows 11 DOES show the printer, and can install with a generic driver and print. However I need the FULL install as I need TWAIN drivers.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

8 REPLIES 8

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

Canon released drivers for W11 on 12/3.

Support | Color Laser | Color imageCLASS MF644Cdw | Canon USA

Here is the installer: 644/642

MF642CMFDriverV6403WP.exe

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Yes, those are the drivers I started with. I also have made sure firewall, etc. is off during my tests. Still cannot get the install to see the printer, but have no issues getting to the web interface.

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Are you running a 3rd party AV software?

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

No, and I've shut down all the MS tools for the testing also. I've even manually cleaned the Canon registry entries to see if that was interfering... Have also reset the switch, cleared ARP, etc. tables in case something was interfering with detection..

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

Try this.  Download the file I reference above.  Change its extension from .exe to .zip.  Extract it to a folder somewhere.  

Open Settings > Control Panel > Device and Printers.  If the printer object exists, right-click and remove.

Restart your machine.

Open the same path again and click Add Printer > The printer I want is not listed.

Select Add by TCP/IP

Add the printer by its IP address.  If prompted for drivers, point it to the extracted folder created earlier.

If it will only use MS drivers allow it to.

Now go back to the printer and right-click, select Printer Properties > Advanced tab > Select a different driver and once again, point it to your extracted drivers folder....

Or, it might be possible for you to simply run the installer again and this time succeed since the printer will be installed and actually exist on the system.

I've not tried this, so I'd appreciate you sharing the results.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~CarePaks Are Worth It

With a little work to find the right directories, etc. This has gotten the printer portion working... but not the scanner as it didn't seem to install the Twain drivers. Any thoughts there?

clucksted
Contributor

Rick - So, as an experiment I did a full factory reset / initialize on the PRINTER. Once done, the installer saw it on the network and happily installed everything correctly. Not sure which setting was causing it to not be visible.

Greetings,

Good thinking.  Had you changed the default hostname by any chance?

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~CarePaks Are Worth It

Announcements