cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MF642 Could not install the scanner driver

davetheguys
Apprentice

I have windows 11 and when Installing the MFD drivers from the Canon website I get the message “Could not install the scanner driver. Try to install again.”

The print drivers install with no problem.  I've deleted all Canon software and devices and retried with no success.  From related fixes on this site, I've tried saving the install file in a separate folder and starting the computer in Selective Start Up.  I've also disabled all Microsoft and Bit Defender antivirus and firewall protections.

I'm hoping someone will have a solution that will allow me to use the scanner.

4 REPLIES 4

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings ,

The scanner driver is part of this package.  

https://pdisp01.c-wss.com/gdl/WWUFORedirectTarget.do?id=MDEwMDAxMjA1MDAx&cmp=ABR&lang=EN

When you run this package, one of the first prompts will tell you that it needs to create an exception on the Windows firewall.  Click yes for that.  This happens behind the scenes, but if you want to know what it does, it adds an exception for "MF drivers" on the Windows firewall under private networks.  

The next option will give you a choice for the driver you want to install.  Since you've already installed the print driver and MF scan utility uncheck the first two boxes.  Just leave the third one checked, scanner driver.  Once this completes, you can open the MF scan utility from the start menu. It displays the printer selector which if you only have one installed, you don't need to select anything with all of the scanners options.  It's basically the enabler for the MF scan utility.  Let me know how it goes 😉

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.7.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Thank you for the suggestion, however I still get the message “Could not install the scanner driver. Try to install again.”.  I have disabled Windows Defender Firewall and the Bitdefender Firewall, so they are probably not causing the issue.  I didn't get a message asking to create an exception but maybe that's because the firewalls are disabled.

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Hi,

I'll need a little time to look more deeply at this.  I have access to the GravityZone Admin Portal but don't recall if installing BD on a endpoint leaves the Windows Defender FW enabled.  I don't think you need two software firewalls, and actually it could cause a behavior like this.  I know you disabled both, but the process might be monitored.  

This is a tool I've used frequently in the past with windows 10.  I don't know if it works with W11, but suspect it might.  It won't hurt your system at all so feel free to try it.  It works for both install and uninstall of problematic software.     

Fix problems that block programs from being installed or removed - Microsoft Support

Are you having any issues with the self-extracting .ZIP file? (Note my reference is for the 656Cdw example)

shadowsports_2-1707450416569.png

If so, rename its .exe extension to .zip.  Right-click to extract it and run the setup.exe in the ...drivers\x64  folder

shadowsports_0-1707449189224.png

If not already done, also try downloading a fresh copy of the installer from the support portal.  This looks like an issue in your software environment, so the above might not help, but it won't hurt to try.

Next step would be running System File Checker from an elevated command prompt.  Note that's a forward slash / after sfc..  then press enter.  We want "no integrity violations found".  If they are, a reboot should resolve.  Then run again.  

shadowsports_1-1707449377477.png

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.7.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

I uninstalled Bitdefender AV program and turned off Windows Defender Firewall.  I could not install the scanner driver even with a new download.

I tried getting the troubleshooter you mentioned but could not download it.  I got the following message.

davetheguys_0-1707517258076.png

My system will not run the command prompt you suggested, I got a message "Access Denied".

Maybe something in the results I got will help point to a possible solution.

click here to view the gallery
Announcements