cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MF Toolbox doesn't work on Windows 10

mj1856
Apprentice

I have a MF4570dn, and recently upgraded from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10.

I can no longer scan using the MF Toolbox utility.   I had MF Toolbox 4.9 installed before the upgrade, and it worked just fine.  After the upgrade, I get "Cannot communicate with the scanner" error dialog:

Error1.png

I thought I would try to reinstall the MF Toolbox utility, but there are two problems.

1) The downloads page shows no downloads for Windows 10 for this printer. This should be updated.

2) I downloaded the one for Windows 8.1, and tried to reinstall, but it just hangs at the "Processing Installation" screen:

Error2.png

I've also tried to uninstall the existing MF Toolbox first, and it also hangs at this same dialog.

I've also tried various other things without success:

- Connecting via USB instead of Network.  It detects the scanner, and MF Toolbox can switch to that device, but it still gives a communications error.

- Trying the built-in Windows Scan app instead of MF Toolbox.  It uses the WIA driver.  It barely starts to scan, then immediately cancels.

Please Canon - forward this to your engineers and provide a fix asap.  I cannot use my scanner on Windows 10.

(I can use the printer functionality just fine.)

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Thanks.  My model's links are different, but the new software appears to work.

https://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/support/consumer/printers_multifunction/imageclass_series/imageclass_...

Also, to get the old toolbox uninstalled, I had to reboot into safe mode.  Otherwise the uninstaller just hung.  Then booted back into regular mode, removed all traces of the existing printer, then reinstalled the new software and it works great.

View solution in original post

435 REPLIES 435

santoni05
Apprentice

I attempted everything short of uninstalling the drivers and MFT application. Instead I installed a secondary scanning application (NAPS2 to be specific). The new application worked fine (albeit slower) . . . however, when I attempted to run MFT again (just for giggles) it magically worked! 

Sorry there isn't a super technical reason, but something with having NAPS2 installed helped to correct whatever issue there was with MFT in Windows 10.

I am reluctant to download this software(NAPS2)  because I keep getting a message that it may harm my computer.

I agree with your reluctance.  If you are having difficulty installing the MF Toolbox, I would call Canon Customer Support directlyl and ask them for assistance.  I have found them to be very patient on the phone as they walk you through what steps you need for the install. 

I am not a big fan of loading software that I am unsure of, especiallyl if there is an easier solution with the OEM.

I'm not sure what website you are using or internet security software you have installed that would thrown a warning (I used CNET for a trusted download), but the NAPS2 software was rated safe by the community. 

A couple weeks later and the fix is still working. I turned the printer on/off multiple times to save power when not in use and the error with MFT did not appear like it apparently is with the uninstall/reinstall method. 

Wigwam
Apprentice

I am having the same problem with my MF4890dw, laser printer. I can not scan since Windows 10. I have a solution to the problem. My last 7 Canon printers are out of date and I only have 2 left. I am looking for new printers now. My solution is that I am not looking at anything that has a Canon name on it... If there has been any help/assistance rendered by Canon to these 18 pages re the mf4890, I am unaware,   

Co2sam
Apprentice
None of this worked.. my previous win10 computer used this software with no problem. But you new computer win10 cannot seem to use the MF scanner driver. VueScan program works fine, but they want $90 to use their program.

bigben
Apprentice

mf toolbox doesn't work with windows 10

Typhoon859
Contributor

Hey, does anybody know what file extension or otherwise protocol is used to launch MF Toolbox when a scan is initiated by the printer?  I started having this problem after updating to Windows 10 as well, but I have a feeling I'd be able to fix it once I got the answer to that question.  Oddly enough, when I press on scan and select computer, instead of launching MF Toolbox it actually launches Photoshop XD

I was otherwise successful in updating the firmware and otherwise updating all computer drivers and software to all the latest versions (using the safe mode method).  Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks!

My problems are worse.  I tried reinstalling MF Toolbox on my D530 and it wouldn't reinstall. 

I tried calling Canon customer service.  There should be special place in hell for CS reps that simply lie to you to get you off the phone. 

This jerk kept insisting that my only problem was that I was using a 6 foot USB cable instead of a 3 foot one.  I said I had never heard of that on any piece of equipment and he told me that, yeah, it was all over their internal cust service resources that Win 10 had to have only a short, 3 foot USB cable.  When I said I would have to rearrange my entire office, he said that was the way it was.  Needless to say, after I rearranged the office to get a 3 foot cable MFT still didn't work.

Then I tried to uninstall MFT so I could reinstall it, and it would not uninstall.  I had to use Revo Uninstaller to scour my system to remove all traces of MFT.  Then it wouldn't install, hanging at the 'Process Initiating' screen, on both the current and previous versions of the install files.  And, yes, I rebooted on each step along the way.

Now I can't use my scanner and there's no way to test the solutions offered here because Canon's software won't install and won't uninstall on my Win 10 64 rig.

Any suggestions?

@reba wrote:

My problems are worse.  I tried reinstalling MF Toolbox on my D530 and it wouldn't reinstall. 

I tried calling Canon customer service.  There should be special place in hell for CS reps that simply lie to you to get you off the phone. 

This jerk kept insisting that my only problem was that I was using a 6 foot USB cable instead of a 3 foot one.  I said I had never heard of that on any piece of equipment and he told me that, yeah, it was all over their internal cust service resources that Win 10 had to have only a short, 3 foot USB cable.  When I said I would have to rearrange my entire office, he said that was the way it was.  Needless to say, after I rearranged the office to get a 3 foot cable MFT still didn't work.

Then I tried to uninstall MFT so I could reinstall it, and it would not uninstall.  I had to use Revo Uninstaller to scour my system to remove all traces of MFT.  Then it wouldn't install, hanging at the 'Process Initiating' screen, on both the current and previous versions of the install files.  And, yes, I rebooted on each step along the way.

Now I can't use my scanner and there's no way to test the solutions offered here because Canon's software won't install and won't uninstall on my Win 10 64 rig.

Any suggestions?

Yes, that's exactly the problem I had.  The issue that I mentioned in the post above still remained but perhaps for you this wouldn't have been a resulting issue from the upgrade or generally just with Windows 10 in the first place.  All you have to do is boot into Safe Mode, uninstall the old one there, and then install the new one.  Perhaps simply installing the new one would replace the old one and that's all you'd have to do; I'm not sure.

Announcements