cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MF Scan Utility on Mac won't change printers

mreg
Contributor

I recently switched from an MF653Cdw to an MF656Cdw.  The MF Scan Utility on my Mac, which was working with the 653, is still looking for the 653, and won't work with the 656.  The MF Utility's "Network Scanner Settings" window, which I presume would let me manage the printers, will not open at all.  Any suggestions as to how to settle the previous printer?

In general I have to say that driver support for these printers on a Mac is a horror show.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

mreg
Contributor

I did get Network Scanners to show up, but it wasn't pleasant or neat. I right-clicked on he Scanner Utility app, and selected Show Package Contents.  That brings up all the app's internal files.  Then I double-clicked anything that looked like an app file, most of which did nothing.  I opened and closed some text and info and plist files.  I played around with that for a while, and then when I opened Scanner Utility, I was able to get Network Scanner Settings to open.  If you do get it to open, delete whatever is in there, and add the printer back by using its IP address.  And then if all is good, tell your router and printer to keep that IP address a a static address.  I know that this is a mess, bit it did end up working for me, and it's been solid since.  Good luck!

Edit -- delete stuff in the package contents if you want to and try it again.  You don't have to worry about breaking anything, because you can always reinstall the driver.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

Danny

Thanks for joining the conversation, mreg!

So that the Community can help you better, we need to know exactly which version of macOS is running on your Mac. That, and any other details you'd like to give will help the Community better understand your issue!

If this is a time-sensitive matter, click HERE search our knowledge base or find additional support options HERE.

Thanks and have a great day!

2017 iMac is running MacOS Ventura.  But I'm having the same problem with my 2021 MacBook Pro running Sequoia.  Thanks.

jjDMV
Apprentice

Has your issue been resolved?  I am having the same problem here:

Color ImageCLASS MF743cdw,  OS is mac 14.6.1, the "Network scanner settings" of Canon MF scanner utililty is not showing up when clicked thus i have no way to connect scanner with app. Any suggestions?   

There's another option for scanning, and one that I have used for well over 10 years.  It's Vuescan, by Ed Hamrick (www.hamrick.com).  It's updated constantly, has its own internal drivers for every conceivable scanner and all-in-one, and options and customizations for the scanner that are 100-fold over the manufacturer's scanning utility.  I have used it for every scanner and all-in-one I have ever had.  And I find the scans are of higher quality.  I don't usually bother with a manufacturer's scan utility for that reason, but at this point Vuescan has a quirk with its MF650C series driver that they're working on -- it will only scan at up to 300 dpi. Those are most of my scans anyway, but I wanted the MF Scan Utility working in case I need a 300-600 dpi scan.  I'm still using my MF656Cdw with it every day.  Vuescan has a small lifetime charge.  It is really terrific.  You should give it a try.

mreg
Contributor

I did get Network Scanners to show up, but it wasn't pleasant or neat. I right-clicked on he Scanner Utility app, and selected Show Package Contents.  That brings up all the app's internal files.  Then I double-clicked anything that looked like an app file, most of which did nothing.  I opened and closed some text and info and plist files.  I played around with that for a while, and then when I opened Scanner Utility, I was able to get Network Scanner Settings to open.  If you do get it to open, delete whatever is in there, and add the printer back by using its IP address.  And then if all is good, tell your router and printer to keep that IP address a a static address.  I know that this is a mess, bit it did end up working for me, and it's been solid since.  Good luck!

Edit -- delete stuff in the package contents if you want to and try it again.  You don't have to worry about breaking anything, because you can always reinstall the driver.

jjDMV
Apprentice

Thank you, i managed to get  "network scanner settings" popup following your steps, and once it's up i removed the exiting printer and bomb, it works now .

Thank you very much!

Great!  I just posted this in another part of this forum...which I should have thought of for you.

There's another option for scanning, and one that I have used for well over 10 years.  It's Vuescan, by Ed Hamrick (www.hamrick.com).  It's updated constantly, has its own internal drivers for every conceivable scanner and all-in-one, and options and customizations for the scanner that are 100-fold over the manufacturer's scanning utility.  I have used it for every scanner and all-in-one I have ever had.  And I find the scans are of higher quality.  I don't usually bother with a manufacturer's scan utility for that reason, but at this point Vuescan has a quirk with its MF650C series driver that they're working on -- it will only scan at up to 300 dpi. Those are most of my scans anyway, but I wanted the MF Scan Utility working in case I need a 300-600 dpi scan.  I'm still using my MF656Cdw with it every day.  Vuescan has a small lifetime charge.  It is really terrific.  You should give it a try.

Announcements