cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I am unable to print wirelessly from my laptop to a Canon Maxify MB5140 printer

abriedev
Apprentice

Good day,

I have set up a new Canon Maxify MB5140 printer and am able to print with USB, I can print wirelessly from my Android phone with the PRINT app, I can scan wirelessly to my laptop but I cannot print wirelessly from the laptop.

It says "Processing, wait momentarily..." on the printer screen and on the Status Monitor on the laptop it says "Creating print data...", then it does not create the print data and says there was a problem printing to the printer. Am frustrated at the lack of clear messages as to what the problem can be and the manual does not say what it could be.

Could someone please assist me urgently, as it is being used in an office and we need to be able to print wirelessly.

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Thanks for your inputs and I have managed to resolve the installation.

It looks like it was related to some sort of permission-based blocking after doing some research using Google.

1) I uninstalled all the canon-related programs that were installed.

2) I deleted any ports that were related to canon printers (looks like they are deleted after an uninstall, but there were 2 left from an older printer so I just deleted them to be safe.)

3) I removed all the canon devices.

4) This is the important bit: I did not use the full driver installation package with manual etc, which would go to the internet to check for the latest version, I just used the m68n.... version that only installs the drivers for the printer, scanner, fax, copier. That bypassed the canon website and allowed the installation to happen without a problem. It does not give the option to print a test page but I just tested the printing and scanning and they both worked. I was able to resolve a similar problem with a Canon MB2340 printer that I am using at home, which I lost the ability to print wirelessly to as well. Hallalujah!!

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

To what wireless device is the printer connected?  It can connect to only one at a time.  The device that you have set it up for.  It cannot dynamically switch between devices, as needed, on the fly.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

It is connected to a single wireless router. The phone connects to the printer no problem. The laptop connects with the printer through the same router no problem when it is scanning, it is just when it tries to print that it connects, but then the print fails with the description of what happens in my initial post.

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend
Does it do that with all software you try to print from?

Typically it is application software that prepares data for printing and then it goes to the printer driver.
John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Thanks for your inputs and I have managed to resolve the installation.

It looks like it was related to some sort of permission-based blocking after doing some research using Google.

1) I uninstalled all the canon-related programs that were installed.

2) I deleted any ports that were related to canon printers (looks like they are deleted after an uninstall, but there were 2 left from an older printer so I just deleted them to be safe.)

3) I removed all the canon devices.

4) This is the important bit: I did not use the full driver installation package with manual etc, which would go to the internet to check for the latest version, I just used the m68n.... version that only installs the drivers for the printer, scanner, fax, copier. That bypassed the canon website and allowed the installation to happen without a problem. It does not give the option to print a test page but I just tested the printing and scanning and they both worked. I was able to resolve a similar problem with a Canon MB2340 printer that I am using at home, which I lost the ability to print wirelessly to as well. Hallalujah!!

Announcements