cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Firmware & Print Studio Pro Questions

aptillie
Contributor

I have two questions that I hope can be answered.

1) I bought my Pixma Pro 100 a while ago. Is it necessary for me to install firmware or dirvers? I would think the dirvers that came with the unit shoud be sufficient no? Im using my printer on Windows 8.1 along with either Lightroom 6.14 or Gimp.

2) Is Print Studio Pro standalone or does it have to work within an editing program like Lightroom? If so, can it be used with Gimp as well?

Thank you

3 REPLIES 3

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

@aptillie wrote:

I have two questions that I hope can be answered.

1) I bought my Pixma Pro 100 a while ago. Is it necessary for me to install firmware or dirvers? I would think the dirvers that came with the unit shoud be sufficient no? Im using my printer on Windows 8.1 along with either Lightroom 6.14 or Gimp.

2) Is Print Studio Pro standalone or does it have to work within an editing program like Lightroom? If so, can it be used with Gimp as well?

Thank you

Welcome to the forum.

1. downlaod the latest driver from the Canon support site. It is necessary that you install a driver and follow the insructions wnem prompted by the installation software to connect the printer.

2. Print Studio Pro is a plugin and only works with Canon DPP, Lightroom or Photoshop/Photoshop Elements. It will not work witgh Gimp, Capture 1, DxO, etc.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Regarding firmware. I have been using my printer for a while now so Im sure the drivers that came with the printer were installed. My question, is it necessary to install the firmware? Not sure what's in this firmware package.

You confirmed my Print Studio Pro question. Looks like a good one to use. To bad its not a standalone. I used to use Lightroom and still do sometimes (v6.14) but now thats a subscription base I dont use it enough to see paying for the service, so I switched to darktable.

Thank you for your help

There is a "bogus" firmware update file dated April 2020. There afre a number of threads on it.

Run a nozzle check and see what version of firmware is reported. If it  is below 2.0 you are all set.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic
National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements