cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon MF455dw stops responding on network

eddyanm
Apprentice

I have a Canon MF455dw, it's been in use for a little over a year. Recently, it would stop responding on the wired network and not able to print.

The printer is connected via Ethernet to the local network. When it is not able to print, the printer's physical Ethernet port is still connected and the LED lights show connected and blinking. However, pinging the printer from a PC shows no response.

Once I unplug the printer's network cable and re-insert it, it would start responding again and able to print. Another method is to power-cycle the printer. I've switched the network port and replaced the network switch to eliminate any network equipment issue and it still occurs. I suspect there is an issue with the printer's network interface. This occurs 2-3 times a day and very frustrating and time consuming having to troubleshoot it every time.

The printer is on the following firmware:

Version Information

Main Controller:Boot ROM:DCON:Language:

3 REPLIES 3

mreg
Contributor

Try setting the printer's IP address to Static in the printer's web UI and on your router.

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

The suggestion provided by mreg is likely to solve your issue.  Both of the actions you are using to resolve the behavior are indicative the printer losing its DHCP lease.  Its your routers job to manage IPs and assign them to devices making connection requests.

After some period of inactivity, going to sleep, being powered off or lease expiry, the router might deem the device has left the network.  It then reclaims the previously assigned IP and returns it to a pool of IPs it makes available for other devices.  This works great for devices that visit or come and go.  Its not so great for persistent devices.  Printers, NAS storage, or any device that requires a statically assigned destination.  Besides IP management, your router is also responsible for maintaining an ARP table.   ARP is used to maintain a mapping of IPs and the MAC addresses of network devices.  A network adapters MAC address is what the router uses to map an IP to a device.  

In the example below I have assigned IP 192.168.1.99 to my MF656Cdw printer.  This is done on your router.

shadowsports_0-1729217716333.png

I also set it on the printer as mreg suggests 😀.  This is located in the printers Remote UI.  (follow the path above IPv4 settings) in image.

shadowsports_1-1729218558532.png

shadowsports_3-1729219208155.png

If you have questions, just reply and someone will assist.  This only has to be done once.  The printer then becomes a persistent destination on your network and will always be "pingable" (reachable).

C:\Users\itadmin>ping 192.168.1.99

Pinging 192.168.1.99 with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 192.168.1.99: bytes=32 time=19ms TTL=64
Reply from 192.168.1.99: bytes=32 time=22ms TTL=64
Reply from 192.168.1.99: bytes=32 time=37ms TTL=64
Reply from 192.168.1.99: bytes=32 time=40ms TTL=64

Adding the printer as an IP printer to your PC or MAC is optional, but also something I recommend.

shadowsports_5-1729220047574.png

Let us know how you make out.  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.7.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Thanks for the suggestions guys.  The printer's IP is statically reserved on the router (Ubiquiti UDM Pro).  But the printer is still on DHCP.  Checking the ARP table is something I didn't do yet.  I will look into that to see if the printer's entry was indeed deleted somehow when I can't ping it.  And I will try setting the printer's IP statically as well.

Thanks!

Eddy

Announcements