cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Airprint not working on MF451dw

astrodonkey
Apprentice

Hi,

I'm unable to get AirPrint working from iPhone/iPad/etc even when connected to the same WiFi network.  When I try to select a printer I only get "Looking for Printers..." and then "No AirPrint Printers Found".

I feel this should work without the help of a third-party Canon app.  I do not want to ask all network users to take this step.

Steps I've already taken:

• Ensured AirPrint is enabled
  • Tried this from several devices
  • Forum search

There should not be any firewall rules that would interfere in this case.

Any help is appreciated.

5 REPLIES 5

Hector
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hello Astrodonkey,

If you are able to print over wifi using our app but can't print via Air print, you can try power cycling your router to refresh any connections or using the printer's direct connection to see if airprint works. Once you turn your router off and on or unplug it from the power for 5 seconds, you can try testing airprint from any of your iOS devices to see if it finds the MF451..

If the ios device is still unable to locate the printer over the network, you can try using the steps in the link HERE to use the direct connection. Once you have it turned on, you can connect to the printer's direct connection and try a test print to see if it works. If it does, there is a chance that the airprint service is blocked or is not running properly.

If you continue to have issues, you can contact support over the phone at 1-800-652-2666, our agents would be happy to help.

Hey Hector. Check out the answer I gave and the thread that I linked to. Get this information to the right people to get this fixed. It's really really pathetic that Canon hasn't figured this out in the three years we've brought this to their attention. A firmware update to fix this should be EASY and should have been available three years ago.

What link?

rsarvis
Contributor

Hi Astrodonkey. This is prob similar to the problem that is discussed here: https://community.usa.canon.com/t5/Printer-Software-Networking/imageCLASS-MF644Cdw-Airprint-name-kee...

It's been 3 years and Canon still hasn't done anything about it. And from Hector's answer, it seems most are clueless that it even exists. If you connect to the printer via IP address using your browser, hit System Manager mode and login, and go to Settings & Registration > Network Settings > AirPrint Settings, you'll see that the Printer Name has changed, so you can re-edit it to what it was supposed to be. Sadly, you'll probably have to do this regularly bc Canon sucks.

Funny that this problem doesn't show up in reviews.  Bought it yesterday, going back tomorrow. We need the airprint function to work consistently.

Announcements