cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Adding existing printers to Smart Connect

crabtreeg
Apprentice

Why does Canon make it so difficult to add existing Canon printers to the same SmartConnect software for management? I have 4 Canon Printers and I would like to manage them all in the same smart connect software, but the software only allows me to add them by going through a completely new install for each of the printers that I already have setup and working fine. It shouldn't be that hard to add existing printers to the management software, especially when they are all on the same wifi network.

Anyone have any ideas on adding existing printers to the management software? Any way to get the software to just scan the network for existing Canon printers?

5 REPLIES 5

Tiffany

Welcome to the Canon forum!

So that the Community can help you better, we will need to know what model Canon 
equipment you are using. Also, which operating system is running on your computer (i.e. Windows or macOS and which version) Any other details you'd like to give will only help the Community better understand your issue.  If this is a time-sensitive matter, click HERE search our knowledge base or find additional support options HERE

Canon Inkjet Smart Connect version 1.3.3. running on Windows 10. The software came with my TR4500 printer. I also currently have an MX490, MX430, and a Pro200. I have owned many Canon printers and each one shipped with it's own unique version of management software like the Canon IJ utility. This Inkjet Smart Connect is the first management software I've gotten from Canon that seems intended to allow multiple printers to be added to it for management.

If I had just purchases another new printer and wanted to set it up new with Smart Connect, then it's no problem. But my other printers are already setup and working fine on my network and I don't want to go through a full new installation just to add them to the software.

I would think Canon could write the software just to poll the network for existing compatible printers and add them, but apparently not.

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

"Smart Connect" Management software.   Can you provide more details about the environment, and software in use please.  Is this Canon software?

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Canon Inkjet Smart Connect version 1.3.3. It is the printer management software that came with my TR4500. It is designed to allow a user to add multiple Canon Printers to the software, but only adds them if they are new installations. It doesn't seem to have any facility to add already existing Canon printers without going through a whole new installation process.

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

I looked at this the other day, but didn't associate the two.  Its a windows store app similar to HP Smart.

It has an + Add Printer button, but the devices it can manage must be installed with their respective drivers to be supported under the OS.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Announcements