cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to print colour photo in greyscale?

OldGrantonian
Contributor

I have Canon MP140 Pixma with Win 10.

I normally only need to print text, so I only ever replace the black cartridge. The colour cartridge has been empty for years.

I now need to print a colour JPG in black and white. So far, I can only print blank pages. The printer sounds as if it's printing line-by-line, and takes the amount of time that I would expect.

In Control Panel, in printer preferences for Canon MP140 Pixma, I have checked "Greyscale Printing".

For further information, I can print colour PDFs in greyscale. So maybe I could insert the JPG in a blank document, then convert to PDF.

But first I would like to know if there's an "approved" way of printing JPGs in greyscale.

Thanks.

4 REPLIES 4

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

I think this might be your problem (although I don't know specifically for that model printer)

Generally printers like that have a color CYMK cartridge for color printing and a pigment black cartride for text.

When you ask for grayscale printing the printer will use the CYMK cartridge because the printers use color even when printing black becasue black ink dye isn't always pure black.

You might give Canon a call at 1-800-OK-CANON and ask them.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Thanks 

Maybe try this:

https://community.usa.canon.com/t5/Printer-Multifunction-Support/How-do-I-get-printer-to-use-only-bl...

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Thanks @jrhoffman75. That suggestion worked fine with my MP140 Pixma. 

I'm copying the relevant text here, to help other people:

Once inserted, you can the PIXMA MX490 to only print from the black ink cartridge. To do this, please follow these steps:

1. Open Control Panel.

2. Click on Devices and Printers.

3. Right click the PIXMA MX490 series Printer and left click on Printing Preferences.

4. Click on the Maintenance tab.

5. Click on the Ink Cartridge Settings button.

6. Select Black Only from the drop down box and click OK.

Your PIXMA MX490 will now be set to only print from the black ink cartridge.

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements