cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Deleting Ink Status from PIXMA TR4522

JaciS
Contributor

I live over 100 miles from the nearest store that sells Canon ink.  I went to the 3 stores in the area and they were all out of the ink cartridges for my TR4522 (regular and XL).  I found someone that had used cartridges available.  I got one to get me by until my new ones come in the mail.  I was told to disable the Ink Status setting on the printer directly or through my computer.  I get a message that the black ink is low and each page prints with streaks of white.  

I was told when the message appears on the printer to hold down the stop button for 10 seconds and it will clear the setting and I will be able to print again.

That doesn't seem to work.  Is this something that Canon had overridden so that I cannot disable the function?

I don't print all that often so have no problem buying new cartridges - but right now they are not available, and of course, I'm in a crunch right now and have about 30 pages to print and put in the mail by Wednesday.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Greetings,

We'd like to help, but can't offer much assistance if you are not using Canon inks with your printer.  This is because of unknown reliability and compatibility.  I'm sorry you live so far away from a retailer that sells canon products.  I think ordering online might be the way to go.  

I don't know that I would install used inks, even if they were Canon brand.  Also, some 3rd party inks work, some don't.  We can't tell you with certainty which will or won't. 

Is something wrong with your printer?  Maybe so, but there is no way to know for sure until you have the proper inks installed.

Keep in mind, just because something fits, doesn't mean it will work properly or reliably.  I'm sorry.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

JaciS
Contributor

Well, playing around and I now have different things happening.  When I do a test print it will only print color, but no black.  However, when I print a page of text, I get the white streaks through my lines.  But, I printed a square filled with gradiation from black to light gray.  It printed just fine, no streaks, studders, or missing spots.

I printed a page with images, some that are all color, some all black, and some a combination.  Again, the color prints, but nothing black prints at all.

Maybe it isn't my ink cartridge, but a problem with the printer itself.  Any ideas or suggestions?

Greetings,

We'd like to help, but can't offer much assistance if you are not using Canon inks with your printer.  This is because of unknown reliability and compatibility.  I'm sorry you live so far away from a retailer that sells canon products.  I think ordering online might be the way to go.  

I don't know that I would install used inks, even if they were Canon brand.  Also, some 3rd party inks work, some don't.  We can't tell you with certainty which will or won't. 

Is something wrong with your printer?  Maybe so, but there is no way to know for sure until you have the proper inks installed.

Keep in mind, just because something fits, doesn't mean it will work properly or reliably.  I'm sorry.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Thanks for the reply. 

But it is a Canon cartridge, just used.  Not sure if it has other ink in it, but was told it was "official" cartridge.  My question is can I override the print status function?  And the other thing is could it be the printer itself and not the ink cartridge causing my problem.  I was surprised I ran out of ink as soon as I did.  It is only the black cartridge I changed.

I don't know why when I run a test the color prints, but not the black.  If I print text, I get the white streaks, but if I print a gratiated image going from dark to light gray I don't get any streaks.

I do not want to spend an additional $55 for ink if it is the printer itself.  What are the odds I'd get another printer that uses the same cartridges?

Hi JaciS, are you able to find a resolution for this issue? I am having the same issue ever since I bought the printer.

Initially, I was told that print quality might affect the ink usage. But I tried printing with some basic text and yet run out of ink in say <30 pages or so. My print costs are so expensive that I started going to nearby print locations. I am disappointed that I bought a printer that is possibly hacked or the software indulging in some kind of malpractice!

Any assistance would be helpful!  

Announcements