cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

powershot A550

northandold
Contributor

All of a sudden I can't upload a couple of photos to my computer (actually to Dropbox).  Haven't changed the cord to connect the camera to the computer.  Have changed the batteries and also rebooted the computer.

11 REPLIES 11

Richard
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hi Northandold,

Thanks for posting.

To give us a better chance of assisting you, please reply with the following information:

1. Which operating system do you have on your computer?
  2. Which software (if any) are you using to transfer your images?
  3. Are all images affected, or just a few?
Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

1. Windows 7
2. no software
3. just the two I took this morning

Hi Northandold,

Thanks for your reply.

Take a couple of new shots, then try to transfer them, as you normally do.

Are you able to transfer these?

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Still didn't load.  Oh, and I have misplaced the disc that came with the camera.  I thought that maybe re-loading it might help.

Hi Northandold,

Thank you for your reply.

If your new images and older images (shot this morning) aren't loading, but you've been able to transfer images previously, without the Canon software, it's possible that your camera's driver has been corrupted.

To resolve this, we'll ask that you remove your camera's driver (only), than allow Windows to reinstall it.

Before checking the Device Manager, please check your camera's connection to your computer:

1. If your computer is a desktop unit, is the USB cord plugged into the back of the computer? (Recommended)
  2. If it's a laptop, is your computer running on AC power? (Recommended)
  3. We recommend against plugging your camera into a USB hub. Please ensure that you plug your camcorder directly into your computer's USB terminal.

An easy way to get into the Device Manager is to click on the [Windows/ Start] Icon, then right-click on "Computer" and choose "Properties". In the Window that opens, look at the left-hand side and click on the "Device Manager" link.

Once in the Device Manger, please look for the Portable Devices folder. If your camera is in there, please right-click on the driver and uninstall the driver. Once this process is complete, please turn your camera off for a few seconds, then turn it back on (in the playback mode).

Tried all that and finally found a 'portable device'. Uninstalled it, etc. Re-installed. It says I have the most up to date driver (MTP USB device) for my portable device. Still won't work.

Hi Northandold,

Thanks for the update.

When you see the driver in the Portable Devices folder, is it listed as a "Canon camera" or does it specifically list it as a "PowerShot A550"?

Also, please take another look at the Device Manager, and take a look at the following folders:

• Imaging Devices
  • Other Devices
  • Unknown Devices

If you see any of these folders, please open it or them, and let us know what driver ir drivers you see inside?

Under Imaging Devices, it shows 'Canon Powershot A550' and then 'This device is working properly'.  There seems to be 'pictures' of a printer and a camera.

There are no folders named Ohter Devices or Unknown Devices.

I looked again and see what might be a driver for my Lexmark MX310.
Announcements