cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RAW or CR2 image for use in HDR image for 3D animation class

CrystalDawn
Apprentice

Hi,

I'm a complete newb and a 3D animation student.  I'm trying to find out what I need to do to upload the RAW or CR2 images from my Canon digital camera into my computer and NOT .jpg.  Apparently I need (2) RAW images to create a merge into an HDR image that I need to use in my 3ds Max program scene to provide the results I need to meet my class criteria.

My professor didn't know how to do this either, but I'm still required to create the HDR image somehow LOL and I don't even know how to create a RAW image.

Hopefully someone here can help me to understand how to extract the CR2 / RAW images without having them change into .jpg.  Every time I import them from the camera the images are turned into .jpg and I don't see any choice of having them be imported as RAW / CR2.

Also - what is the best kind of Canon camera for creating panoramic and close-up?  Is there one that can do both?

Thanks so much and hope one or more of you can help here 🙂

Sincerely,

Crystal Dawn

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

1. What type of camera are you using?

2. What type of computer are you using?

In order to download RAW files, your camera must be set to save images as RAW.  There are a couple of different ways to get images out of a camera: card reader, USB cable, and some cameras offer wireless transfer.

A card reader is the most reliable method because it relies the least on application software to download the photos.  Transferring via USB cable is the method that I prefer, because the Canon software can automatically place files where I want them to go.  Wireless transfers are really intended for sharing photos, which usually means you can only transfer JPEGs.

As for making an HDR image goes, some cameras allow you to create one in the camera.  Of those that do, some cameras discard the original files, while others retain the original files.  Some cameras make you use JPEGs, while others allow you to use either JPEG or RAW files.  I prefer to create HDR images outside the camera, in post processing, which offers the most flexibility.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

1. What type of camera are you using?

2. What type of computer are you using?

In order to download RAW files, your camera must be set to save images as RAW.  There are a couple of different ways to get images out of a camera: card reader, USB cable, and some cameras offer wireless transfer.

A card reader is the most reliable method because it relies the least on application software to download the photos.  Transferring via USB cable is the method that I prefer, because the Canon software can automatically place files where I want them to go.  Wireless transfers are really intended for sharing photos, which usually means you can only transfer JPEGs.

As for making an HDR image goes, some cameras allow you to create one in the camera.  Of those that do, some cameras discard the original files, while others retain the original files.  Some cameras make you use JPEGs, while others allow you to use either JPEG or RAW files.  I prefer to create HDR images outside the camera, in post processing, which offers the most flexibility.

Thank you so much, Wadizzle!

I'm not at home so I don't have model # but it's just the $230 small silver digital camera.  We're using Windows 10 64-bit.  I can get more specs to you later today on both the computer and the camera, but there must be some setting as you say in the menu of the camera.

Ed's going to check the manual on here and see if he can find the command to do that and thank you for that info 🙂 !!

Sincerely,

Crystal Dawn

Keep in mind that most of the less expensive cameras don't keep the RAW format (CR2 files) after taking the image. Usually the cameras that do are in the $500.00 and up category. On Canon PowerShot caemreas, the setting for RAW caprture is not in the menu. Press the Function button and if the camera can shoot in RAW, you should be able to scroll down on the left side of the screen until you get to the option where you can select RAW, JPEG, or RAW+JPEG.

Steve M.

Hi Steve,

We're using a Powershot A630. It doesn't give us the choice for .raw.  We looked in every way / setting possible and not the Menu, Function Button or any other setting lets us obtain the .raw.

Admittedly this camera only cost us $230 or thereabouts on eBay, so we're looking here on Canon to ensure we get one that actually provides this function.

Thank you so much for your help on this!

Sincerely,

Crystal

Hey Wadizzle,

Wanted to say we're using a Canon Power Shot A630, but it doesn't come with the .raw feature, so we'll be buying a camera with the capability here 🙂 Thank you!!
Sincerely,
Crystal

@CrystalDawn wrote:
Hey Wadizzle,

Wanted to say we're using a Canon Power Shot A630, but it doesn't come with the .raw feature, so we'll be buying a camera with the capability here 🙂 Thank you!!
Sincerely,
Crystal

Not unless you want to spend upwards of four digits on a camera, you will not find a Canon DSLR that allows you to shoot HDR photos as RAW, and retain the original shots.  This is why I do the HDR processing in post-processing with Canon's free software, Digital Photo Professional, which comes with Canon DSLR cameras.

1. IMG_7290-HDR.jpg
Announcements