cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot detect camera...

rsantangelo
Apprentice

I have a Windows 7 SP1 PC (64bit) and a PowerShot A1100 IS.   I've always been able to transfer pics to my PC without incident..  But when I tried today, I got an error that said "Cannot detect camera.  Check connection to camera, then retry".

I've tried everthing including...

1) Uninstalled all Canon software and downloaded the latest from their website

2) Made sure there wasn't a large amout of images on the memory card

3) Tried different memory cards

4) Tried different cables

5) Uninstalled device from Device Manager and Re-scanned for hardware changes

6) Rebooted lots of times

7) Tried different USB ports on PC

When I look in Device Manager, I keep seeing the camera show up under "Other Devices" and it has a yellow box with an exclamation point in it.  I would have expected it to be under Portable Devices based on everything I've read. I'm wondering if that's the root symptom of the problem that needs to be addressed even before I get to ZB.

Please help.

2 REPLIES 2

jazzman1
Rising Star

@rsantangelo wrote:

I have a Windows 7 SP1 PC (64bit) and a PowerShot A1100 IS.   I've always been able to transfer pics to my PC without incident..  But when I tried today, I got an error that said "Cannot detect camera.  Check connection to camera, then retry".

I've tried everthing including...

1) Uninstalled all Canon software and downloaded the latest from their website

2) Made sure there wasn't a large amout of images on the memory card

3) Tried different memory cards

4) Tried different cables

5) Uninstalled device from Device Manager and Re-scanned for hardware changes

6) Rebooted lots of times

7) Tried different USB ports on PC

When I look in Device Manager, I keep seeing the camera show up under "Other Devices" and it has a yellow box with an exclamation point in it.  I would have expected it to be under Portable Devices based on everything I've read. I'm wondering if that's the root symptom of the problem that needs to be addressed even before I get to ZB.

Please help.

Have you downloaded this months windows updates???   Many times the updates contain fixes for problems such as yours. Have you recently used Windows restore???    Windows 7 is a fading OS that Microsoft is soon to stop supporting.  Your issue may reside with Windows.

I have downloaded Windows updates.   I haven't restored.

But I do have BREAKING NEWS... after I submitted this, I tried it on a Mac computer and it worked instantly.   This tells me that the camera and cable are fine.  

So it does appear to be something about the computer.  I guess I'll open a case with Microsoft.

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements