cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

tutorial for Powershot SX50HS

LindaBirder
Enthusiast

I need a tutorial or a step by step instruction that I can follow.  I have downloaded the complete manual and thoroughly read and studied it.  My last Canon was the AE1program purchased in 1984 and used for 20 years, always on the automatic setting.  Since 2004, I have used a Kodak automatic camera.  I am overwhelmed by the settings on this wonderful new camera I just received as a gift 5 weeks ago.  I found one tutorial for setting C1 & C2 to be used respectively for birds in the distance and macro shots.  This is exactly what I need but not exactly the settings as described in the tutorial.  Also, the videographer does not explain how to set the settings but assumes the viewer already knows that.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

ssobel
Contributor

LindaBirder if you are still interested here is a link to a new post on you tube.  It is from a photographer named Marius and each week he is adding another episode.  He uses the SX50 as his teaching camera.  I just found it last week and so far it has answered numerous questions.  He will be posting a new "episode" each week.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qzokasX1ILA

View solution in original post

I was also looking for tutorials.  I found one that has been a big help, it is for the SX40, but is very similar.  I have learned a lot watching her u tube videos, Fatdragon100's Canon Powershot SX40.  Hope that is of some help.  I am going to check the other ones that have been suggested.  Learning all the ins and outs takes a little work.  

View solution in original post

108 REPLIES 108

Thank you but I do not have any interest in post processing other than cropping.  It is much more time & expense than I care to invest.  I use Picassa for organizing & cropping.

Vetteran,

Now that I have been directed to the full instructions in John's post, I understand what you are saying about the Frame Tracking.  I had read this in the manual when I first got the camera almost a year ago but never figured out that button.   This is good to finally know.  Thank you! 

Linda,   I will be 70 and I agree with you whole heartedly.  I just got this 3 weeks ago in anticipation for my second trip to Africa.    Focusing is of the utmost importance.  On my first trip I had a Nikon P510 and barely a photo is in focus.  I don't want that problem again so I am going back with a new camera. 

Shelly

northernclaw
Contributor

I also have a SX50 HS, and would like more tips and tricks. No videos. I can read faster than most can talk.

I have the manual, I also have a Canon 20D and all extra books on photography, so I know what TV, A are and how to use them. Magic Lantern had a tutorial book out on the 20D and I found that more helpful than the actual 20D manual at first.  They do have a book for the G series. I also have a decent tripod and monopod along with Canon flashes.

I have problems with the viewfinder. It's too slow. There must be hints on how to use it more effectively, or maybe even adapt a red dot finder to the flash shoe! (I know what parallax is)  (finder not electrical, no contacts) I've used OVF all my life.

As to being slow, I avoided IS for years. I tried a pair of Canon IS stabilized binoculars, and I could see the IS snap in. Gave me vertigo. The camera is a bit faster but I can still catch a hint. Not enough for vertigo, so it works.

I will try to shoot anything on the "nothing ventured, nothing gained" maxim. I had quite a few misses with the moon using all modes except manual.

Most other fora except DPReview don't have a separate forum for the SX and G series. They get lumped with the Alphas and Elphs. It's hard to find anything in one spot.

MarciaMurphy
Apprentice

I understand completely what you are looking for. I am 63 and feel the same way..I don't know the best  and easiest way to use the settings. I also learn better by watching a tutorial.

Marcia,

Here is a link that might be helpful to you?  It covers the basics for all new digital cameras (and that would include the SX50).  To learn what all the settings do you have to know the basics of digital cameras and then practice, practice, practice:  

http://digital-photography-school.com/21-settings-techniques-and-rules-all-new-camera-owners-should-...

Murry

Thank you Murryg.  That link took me to a weekly newsletter.  I signed up.

LindaBirder

Thank you Marcia for repeating my question and getting this discussion going again.  I am hopeful that now that more people have this camera and it has been on the market several more months, there will be more help available.  I have recently met a neighbor who has the same camera & same interests and we have compared notes briefly.  I have learned that we are shooting the same subjects (butterflies) and each of us are using entirelyl different modes and settings and both getting good photos most of the time.  I guess that proves that there are many different ways and combinations to explore.

Linda 

ssobel
Contributor

LindaBirder if you are still interested here is a link to a new post on you tube.  It is from a photographer named Marius and each week he is adding another episode.  He uses the SX50 as his teaching camera.  I just found it last week and so far it has answered numerous questions.  He will be posting a new "episode" each week.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qzokasX1ILA

Shelly,

After all this time, finally what I was looking for.  I am happy so far that he is breaking it down into steps.  I have received quite a bit of helpful information from other posts to my question over the last several months but yours I am marking as the solution. 

I did have one problem with both of the 1st 2 episodes though.  He says that the "directional button" or 'button" will move the focus window when in Program mode.  I can't seem to make that happen.  I first pressed the button under the video button that looks like a little window & it put the box on the display but I can't seem to move it.  

Anybody else?

LindaBirder

Announcements