cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

does 20megapixels make any difference compared to say 12 MP?

anon125
Enthusiast

i just compared the 20mp sx710hs with my old sx1 is  10mp. when zoomed in the 710 pictures are far worse!

thanks all

8 REPLIES 8

TTMartin
Authority
Authority

@anon125 wrote:

i just compared the 20mp sx710hs with my old sx1 is  10mp. when zoomed in the 710 pictures are far worse!

thanks all

There is a lot of technical reasons, but,, the basic answer is no 20 megapixels isn't better than 12 megapixels for cameras with sensors that size.

If you print 8"X10" images from both cameras they will look the same.

When you zoom into a 20 megapixel image at 100% on your computer monitor, that is equivalent to looking at a 3'X5' poster size print from 24 inches away.

Evaluate the image as a whole, not a small bit at 100%.

thanks

do you know if most canon cameras are all like the 710 i am returning. many of the settings mean one can ONLY get 4:3 pics!

yes i know how to switch to 16:9 but it only works on some of the settings!

@anon125 wrote:

thanks

do you know if most canon cameras are all like the 710 i am returning. many of the settings mean one can ONLY get 4:3 pics!

yes i know how to switch to 16:9 but it only works on some of the settings!

Given how easy it is to crop to 16:9, I'm having a hard time understanding why this is an issue to you.

Even the most basic programs that come free with every computer can do it.

when you are editing thousands of pics, having them already at 16:9 is a big help.

i kinda assumed all modern cameras were automatically wide!

@anon125 wrote:

when you are editing thousands of pics, having them already at 16:9 is a big help.

i kinda assumed all modern cameras were automatically wide!

Many programs allow you to apply that kind of edit to all your files at the same time. Some can even do it automatically on import.

Surely starting with the right 16x9 still makes more sense.

Also auto trimming means i make a copy of a jpeg file, not a good idea!

If you look at the Canon PowerShot G series cameras you can use 16:9 ratio in all modes (except several scene modes) as long as you're not shooting RAW files. As far as the megapixels, you need to take the sensor size into consideration as well. The tiny sensor of the SX710 gets very soft with the higher megapixel counts, but allows for tighter cropping. The somewhat larger sensor in the G series gets sharper photos, but cropping won't be as tight. Plus the lens is a big factor too. The SX cameras are about zooming, so the lens is not as bright as on the G series. Of course, the G series is also much higher priced than the SX series.

Cameras are not standardized around 16:9 aspect ratios as that would be too limiting for most photographers. It may be your choice of format, but it depends greatly on the type of photos being taken as to the format that a photographer prefers. Many of my friends prefer a 1:1 format, while I prefer the 4:3. Since I can lock in these ratios with the PowerShot G12 that I have, I find it to be a very versatile camera. There are trade offs though. The SX series have a lot more focal range, so if that is important to you, then the G series won't meet your needs. The SX series vary also in whether you choose the SX100 series, the SX200 series, SX500 series, SX10 series, etc.  Each series has it feature set that makes it different from the others, so you may need to talk to a salesperson at a local camera shop who is familiar with the different cameras. On the forum, most of us only own a couple of cameras. so we don't always know all the differences in the cameras. Each upgrade adds or drops some features, so it would not be surprising to find that a camera from only a few years ago no longer has some features in the newest model, but might also have additional ones that were not in previously. Good luck on getting a camera that better suits your needs.

Steve M.

Thank you very much for your great advice.

Announcements