cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

canon powershot s100 turns off when I turn it on

s100
Contributor

WHY IS MY POWERSHOT S100 CAMERA TURNING OFF WHEN I TURN IT ON...I PRESS THE ON BUTTON...BUT, IMMEDIATELY SHUTS OFF...AND THE LENS STAY EXTENDED...THX, BILLIE

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Yes, that is what I have...I used my battery and the camera stays on...so, not my camera...Good!...it is the ac adapter kit...not getting the connection somehow...I have the kit that was recommended for my camera..I'm going to try another coupler...I believe that's my problem...not making connection. I'm already supposed to have the correct one...But????? who knows???

Sure appreciate your interest, and, help...Thank you very much..Just gonna try another coupler..S100

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Make sure that your battery is fully charged.  I suggest you call Canon Support at 1-800-OK-CANON for assistance.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

s100
Contributor

I am not using a battery...using a connection directly into the wall outlet...thank you for your assistance...

@s100 wrote:

I am not using a battery...using a connection directly into the wall outlet...thank you for your assistance...

This might be the problem right there unless you are using AC adaptor kit ACK-DC30.  Even then, the camera expects to have the battery installed while plugged in.  Can you try powering the unit up with a fully charged battery to see if it still shuts itself off?

================================================
Diverhank's photos on Flickr

That is exactly what I am in the process of doing...now charging my camera's battery that came with the camera...Also, the coupler I am using has" DC COUPLER DR-30" also, the opposite side imprinted with "CANON INC MADE IN CHINA" However, does not have the 'ACK" in front of the imprint on the coupler. Think, maybe, wrong coupler? I feel maybe the inserted connection is not making contact with the coupler....thank you for your indulgence, and, interest in my problem... 

@s100 wrote:

That is exactly what I am in the process of doing...now charging my camera's battery that came with the camera...Also, the coupler I am using has" DC COUPLER DR-30" also, the opposite side imprinted with "CANON INC MADE IN CHINA" However, does not have the 'ACK" in front of the imprint on the coupler. Think, maybe, wrong coupler? I feel maybe the inserted connection is not making contact with the coupler....thank you for your indulgence, and, interest in my problem... 

I am not aware of any Canon electronic products that are made in China.  Doesn't mean that there are not any products made in China, or that there should not be, I'm just not aware of any.  I just do not see Canon relinquishing copyrights, just for the sake of convenience of having lowered manufacturing costs. 

The correct AC power adapter model number is a kit.  "The kit includes AC Adapter CA-DC10 and DC Coupler DR30. Provides uninterrupted power for shooting or downloading."

http://shop.usa.canon.com/shop/en/catalog/ac-adapter-kit-ack-dc30

Is that what you are using?

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Yes, that is what I have...I used my battery and the camera stays on...so, not my camera...Good!...it is the ac adapter kit...not getting the connection somehow...I have the kit that was recommended for my camera..I'm going to try another coupler...I believe that's my problem...not making connection. I'm already supposed to have the correct one...But????? who knows???

Sure appreciate your interest, and, help...Thank you very much..Just gonna try another coupler..S100

Announcements