cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

External power supply

timgor
Contributor

Hello, I have a question about external power supply for Canon powershot cameras.

Regular battey use about 3.6V to power the cameras.

Some cameras can work with external power supply and they rate as 4.3V

First question: 4.3V value sounds very strange to me. Is it made specifically that users would buy only recommended 4.3V adapter and wouldn't buy any other? I tried to measure real voltage and it varies plus minus 0.1V

Second question: What is the top safe voltage that I can use for my camera? Can I use 5V for exmaple? 5V power supply costs $1.

If somebody don't have an answer I can make a test and "fry" my old camera by increasing the voltage.

I know that lowest voltage is 2.3V (2.2V just shut down the camera).

This is question to experienced users, not to officcial Canon representatives Man Wink

21 REPLIES 21

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Experienced users purchase the AC Adapters from Canon.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Bu

@Waddizzle wrote:

I understand what you mean. How Canon would explain me why it's real power supply voltage is 4.5V while it says 4.3V?

Are you testing it loaded or unloaded?

@kvbarkley wrote:

What do you mean loaded or unloaded? With zooming and lightning charging?

If you don't know the answer you should not be playing with it.

A typical digital multimeter has an impedance of millions of ohms, and draws very little current when you make a measurement. Due to its internal resistance a power supply will lower its voltage as the current drawn from it increases.

Your multimeter does not look like the same resistance as the camera so the voltage is higher.

@kvbarkley wrote:

If you don't know the answer you should not be playing with it.

A typical digital multimeter has an impedance of millions of ohms, and draws very little current when you make a measurement. Due to its internal resistance a power supply will lower its voltage as the current drawn from it increases.

Your multimeter does not look like the same resistance as the camera so the voltage is higher.

Do you really beleive that power nominal voltage has soo deep meaning? usually it has a very flat voltage and slight drop at the full current. But my question was not about it.

My question was why the voltage is so non typical - 4.3V.

Standart adapters have 4.0V 4.5V 5.0V even 4.2V but never 4.3V.

everybody understand that he can take at least lower voltage that is much cheaper than official 4.3V adapter.

@timgor wrote:

@kvbarkley wrote:

What do you mean loaded or unloaded? With zooming and lightning charging?

If you need to ask, then you really shouldn't be bothering with power supplies.

@timgor wrote:

Bu

@Waddizzle wrote:

I understand what you mean. How Canon would explain me why it's real power supply voltage is 4.5V while it says 4.3V?

Who knows.  It could be differences between your measurement methods and theirs.  I can think of half a dozen reasons, ranging from rectification to root mean square.

John_
Authority

lol yeah dont commit PowerShot suicide spring for the Canon power supplies!!

Announcements