cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wirelessy upload images to PC

ConnectedCarole
Apprentice

PowerShot 720 HS

When I bought this camera, I had a Windows 10 PC and successfully wirelessly uploaded images from the camera to the PC. However, I now have a Windows 11 and am not able to connect from the camera to the PC nor using Add A Device to see the camera from the PC.

I have no Canon app on my PC. On my camera, when I push the wireless button, I did the name for my old computer plus the name for my Router. But I could not add a device as it told me it did not recognize any.

I went to the page for my camera < drivers and downloads to download new software. But when I choose Windows 11, it tells me there is no software for it. I chose Windows 10 (x64) (detected) and chose that software, downloaded and installed it. It seemed to download correctly, but still will not recognize the camera. I did you Wi-Fi connection set up successfully.

Do you have any suggestions?

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

Generally, I don't Wi-Fi to download photos to my PC, it's faster to remove the card, plug it into an SD card reader and then the download.  It requires no more effort than Wi-Fi, and doesn't drain you camera battery.  It also is a lot more reliable.  In the case of your camera, which is six years old, it is likely that Canon has ceased offering drivers for the new version of Windows.

That said, if you want to pursue the Wi-Fi option, the first question that arises is: was the Win11 software installed as an upgrade to an existing Win10 installation, or a clean install with no previous copy of Win10 running?  If it was an upgrade, you may well have remnants of Win10 within your system if Win11 did not have that set of drivers.

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

View solution in original post

Personally, I would just delete them. Once your images are on your PC you will use the computer's own filing system to manage them.

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

Generally, I don't Wi-Fi to download photos to my PC, it's faster to remove the card, plug it into an SD card reader and then the download.  It requires no more effort than Wi-Fi, and doesn't drain you camera battery.  It also is a lot more reliable.  In the case of your camera, which is six years old, it is likely that Canon has ceased offering drivers for the new version of Windows.

That said, if you want to pursue the Wi-Fi option, the first question that arises is: was the Win11 software installed as an upgrade to an existing Win10 installation, or a clean install with no previous copy of Win10 running?  If it was an upgrade, you may well have remnants of Win10 within your system if Win11 did not have that set of drivers.

cheers, TREVOR

Thanks so much. I was looking for an alternative, but I never thought about reading the SD card! (I'm not very computer savvy.) BTW, It was a new Win11.

Win 11 is still early in its career, and it has a huge amount of drives etc. to convert, load and test.  Sometimes the simplest solution is the best.  Glad you have a solution that works.  If you are happy with this, can you mark it as solved please so others know. 😊

cheers, TREVOR

OK. I loaded from the SD card. Super easy. One question: What are the .ctg files and do I need them? I looked them up and they just seem to be a catalog of the actual images. Can I just delete them?

Personally, I would just delete them. Once your images are on your PC you will use the computer's own filing system to manage them.

cheers, TREVOR

Announcements