cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WHAT IS THE BEST CAMERA TO GRADUATE FROM AN A80

bluzrulz50
Apprentice

I want to upgrade from an A80. My eyesight is diminishing so I need an auto focus camera (I think b/c if I have to focus for what I see it'll be blurry). 

Thanks,

John

4 REPLIES 4

cicopo
Elite

People would need to know a lot about your needs & the kind of things you photograph before having much of a chance to make an informed recommendation. The good news is that just about every digital camera being sold these days has auto focus. It might also be wise to list the price range you'd like to stay within.

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

I take pics of my  2yr old Grandsons & nature shots. I was looking at :

Canon Rebel XS shop (with 18-55mm lens, Black)

Are you sure it's still available? The review site I use lists it as discontinued but whether it's that specific version of the Rebel series or it's replacement you'd be making a very nice upgrade.

That would be a big upgrade in several ways but the most important ones that you'll notice  will be the very fast shutter response & faster AF system. I'd rate it as an entry level DSLR but it's a huge improvement over what you've been shooting & it sounds like it's more than capable of exceeding your needs. Looking at a review  it appears to have Auto mode & Program mode and from experience I'll warn you that Auto isn't the way to go compared to Program mode, and once you're familiar with the camera there are the standard Av Tv & M modes available. If you're interested here'a a review on it from a site I trust & that gives realistic hands on test results

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/XS/XSA.HTM

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

Limmie
Enthusiast

I upgraded from an A80 a few years ago, and just upgraded again (temporarily) from my upgrade.  I bought a Canon 1300is as the first upgrade.  I doubt it is still available but there's probably equivalent models.  Pretty much anything new will be an upgrade from the A80, especially in terms of megapixels, being smaller, offering better video.  I think unless you tried you would also find it hard to find one that did not feature autofocus, and that even would let you focus yourself.  Until you get up to the DSLR range of cameras most no longer offer a separate viewfinder to the screen on the camera back.

As another poster suggested, you will have to supply more information about your price range and needs in a camera.  For example, the A80 took standard AA batteries.  If this is a "must" for you then I think there's only one camera Canon still makes that uses those.  If you want something to fit in a pocket then that will also restrict the range (with plenty of models that will do that).

I upgraded from my smaller-than-the-A80 1300is to the SX280 HS but am not happy with several features, especially the ongoing battery level indicator issue (the camera may well go back to the store tomorrow).  Still, for me, for example, I wanted more zoom than most pocket size cameras offer.  This one has 20x zoom and still fits into a [large] pocket, decent video, etc.  There's currently only 3 models (others made by Panasonic and Sony) that fit those criteria.

Powershots: A80, SD1300is, SX280 (returned)
Announcements