cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shooting live bands with a PowerShot SX530 HS

PFL1982
Apprentice

I just got a SX530 HS... my main use for it will be for concert photography although it won't be at large venues. I tend to shoot bands in small spaces (arts centers, small clubs and bars, house shows) where I'm usually within 5-10 feet of the performers and there often isn't a stage or professional lighting. Sometimes, there's next to no lighting. So far, I've been shooting in Auto, until I get the handle of how to set it up manually. I've had some good luck but there's a delay with taking the picture i.e. sometimes it won't go off for a few seconds. 

Anyway, although I've been taking photos of bands for years, I'm just trying to figure out how to get the best results with my new one. 

thanks for any help.suggestions...

2 REPLIES 2

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

If you are 5-10 feet away, you may simply be too close.  The camera has two focusing ranges, wide and telephoto.  The telephoto range has a rated minimum distance of about 4.27 feet.  The wide range has a minimum focusing distance rated at 2 inches.

Also, the camera needs a sufficient amount of light to focus.  It also needs contrasting ledges to focus, too.  For example, the camera will have trouble focusing on a plain white wall, no matter how far away you are.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

darwin0601
Apprentice

Hello! I photographed a show at the Hollywood Palladium with this model in June 2022 and plan on taking it to an outdoor concert in late May. The delay was noticeable on my end as well. Can offer feedback and opinions if you are interested as well as comparing notes. 

Announcements