cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SX540 HS won't record anymore

abbynormal
Apprentice

Hello,

My camera suddenly won't record video. It will point and shoot, zoom in and zoom out. It focuses fine. However it won't make video anymore. I've put in a clear SD card, so the SD card is not full. Also, I seem to have no serial number on my camera so I can't register it. Please help!

4 REPLIES 4

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

Hi and welcome to the forum:

The serial number should be written on the bottom of your camera and it should be on the receipt you need to provide proof of purchase to register the camera.

My first suggestion is to go to the menu and do a factory reset of the camera's configuration and then try again.

cheers, TREVOR

The mark of good photographer is not what they hold in their hand, it's what they hold in their head;
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

abbynormal
Apprentice

Thank you for the advice. There is no sticker with the camera. Usually I keep all receipts and yet can't seem to find this one. I will try the factory reset. It seems set to some "FHD" mode maybe that I don't know what that is. I get a "hand" sign when I try to record, like it's saying "stop" or "wait". 

The hand sign suggest that you are asking it to do something that is not possible with the current settings.  Do you have your manual handy - if not, download a copy from Canon and check these things.  I always check the manual as my first port of call, that's why it's there.

As to your serial number... It should be located as follows:

lrgscaleIMG_0423.jpeg

Every camera should have such as sticker.  If you don't have it, why not?  Did you get the camera new, and from an authorized Canon dealer?

cheers, TREVOR

The mark of good photographer is not what they hold in their hand, it's what they hold in their head;
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

Noble
Apprentice

Abbynormal, I had the same issue. I had my camera set to video and had always used the shutter button to start recording video. Recently it would just snap photos rather than record video. 

I found the solution was simple although it had eluded me until today. Set the camera to video function and use the red 🔴 button on the back top right of the camera to start and stop recording video.

I hope this solves your problem.

Announcements