Did you mean: 

SX500is

CAP69
Apprentice

SX500is Why do I get this message "Unidentified Image"

5 REPLIES 5

dwks100
Apprentice

I also get the "Unidentified Image" message occasionally....sometimes a thumbnail will be seen but the picture will not "open"...at other times a Question Mark is displayed...

Mykolas
Authority

Hi CAP69 and dwks100!

Thanks for posting!

I need some additional information to help determine what is causing this. 

1. Do you see this message or the "?" icon on the LCD of the camera or do you see it when you try to open the images on your computer?
  2. If on your computer, what program are you using to open the images?
  3. If not on your computer, how often do you format your memory card?

If this is a time sensitive-matter, additional support options are available at Contact Us.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

One frame displayed a question mark both on the camera LCD and when previewed on (several) computers, the other frame displayed an image (complete frame) on the LCD, but after downloading displayed only a partial (upper 35%) of the frame...in both cases, right after taking the pictures, the full frames displayed on the LCD.

Prior to this, a "memory card error" message had appeared...however, in the past, when this occurs, the preview display of the frame would not appear  on the LCD after takingthe picture.

Initial format of card was the only time...have not reformatted since then.

I have tried several applications on two different computers to open the pictures and have had the same results.

Hi Dwks100,

I recommend formatting your memory card at least once per month.  There's really no "hard, fast" rule for this, but it should help reduce the issues you've encountered.  From your description, it sounds like the files and or thumbnails on the memory card are corrupted.

You should be able to recover the images on the memory card.  For information regarding this, please contact us.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

I get this on both the camera and the computer.  I was about to attach a sample of what I am getting, and now my PC is telling me that I need to format the card before I can use it. I just went through the format process last week. Now I'm really confused..

I think i might have a bad memory card.

Announcements