cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SX280 - battery life shooting video

factoryguy
Apprentice

UPDATED May 5:

I apologize to the forum for mixing two different problems.  They are unrelated.

Problem #1:  User error.  I thought I was using a class 6 SD card but I was wrong. The yellow "!" indicates a pathologically slow card.  Upgrading to a class 10 resolved this problem.

Problem #2: UNRESOLVED.  Red battery indicator comes on prematurely.  On a fresh charge, it'll turn red after recording for a couple of minutes.  On a partially drained battery, it turns red immediately upon entering movie mode or pressing the record button.  Turn the camera off and then right back on in "still" mode and it shows full charge and works fine ... until trying to shoot video.  I have not precisely measured recording times but it'll record for at least 20 (maybe 30?) minutes while flashing red.

1,334 REPLIES 1,334

Canonuser4- I don't think you can capture a still image while recording video. I like that the main shutter can be used to stop the video. In fact I wish it could both start and stop video while dial is turned to movie mode. Just makes sense. My older canon does. It also allows you to capture a photo. Not sure why these features don't exist with this one.

My Panasonic FZ150 can shoot stills in the middle of video, the SX280 does not.

Anyone who exchanges a camera at this point is unlikely to find the battery problem resolved. It takes awhile for the fix to make it into production and distrubution cycles and Canon probably has not come up the fix yet.

Okay so I have firmware 1.0.1.0.

And thanks for letting me know no taking pictures during shooting video. I guess I imagined that with the last camera. i did have a Sony that had that feature but the image quality was terrible with the Sony, IMO. I'd rather have excellent image quality and give up some features.

My battery life is terrible!  I shot 20 pictures yesterday with a lot of zooming and 20 sec worth of video to see the battery low red light flash.  I didn't charge it last night and today it shut down after 25 pictures.  I did a lot of zooming so maybe that takes a big toll on the battery.  It looks more and more like I'll return this lemon.  Are you listening Canon????

@ canonuser4, I'm just wondering if there is a camera similar to the SX280 that will allow you to take stills from video with solid quality.

Hi UberAugie,

That's a great question! I had a Sony Cybershot 30v and wasn't happy with the image quality at all. The other choice is Panasonic Lumix zs30. However I haven't read encouraging reviews about the image quality of that camera.

Any ideas?

New Sony coming out next week. 30x zoom 20mgp stills within movie. About $450. Google it. Seems like a great little camera. Claims over 400 pics on one charge. Still like the Canon though except it needs a fix and an extended battery.

@myasg wrote:
New Sony coming out next week. 30x zoom 20mgp stills within movie. About $450. Google it. Seems like a great little camera. Claims over 400 pics on one charge. Still like the Canon though except it needs a fix and an extended battery.

From what I can tell it's the Sony HX50.

Interesting huh? Pricey though but maybe worth it.

Pricey though. But may e worth it
National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements