cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Powershot SX260HS shuts down upon zoom

hafcanadian
Contributor

My SX260HS gets used less these days since phone cameras became popular.  What else is new, right?  But I still say it takes better pix.  So for important events, like our grandson's MBA graduation this morning, I took the Canon.  Last year I bought a new battery for it, and had both charged and ready.  Much to my chagrin near the critical part of the ceremony, the camera's zoom caused it to shut off, with a low battery warning.  When turned back on, it showed a full battery icon.  Repeated attempts at zooming in resulted in shut downs, whether still photos or video.  I ended up in a last minute effort grabbing a cell phone to take video.

When I got home I checked both batteries for voltage, and they're both over 4 volts.  What might be causing the zoom to shut off the camera with a low battery warning, when the battery is more than its rated 3.7v?  I figured the zoom feature uses more power than just the shutter for stills or video, but the bats are not depleted.

1 REPLY 1

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

Hi Half-Canadian (I'm like You!)

I wonder if there is something that is impeding the lens as it extends thus creating more load on the motor.   The problem with a camera such as yours is that it is a sealed unit, so your options are limited.  I would suggest contacting your local Canon support site (if you are in the US, it's 1-800-OK-CANON) and have a chat with them.

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris
Announcements