cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PowerShot SX620HS computer connection failed

DirkP
Apprentice

Have new PowerShot SX620 HS.

Downloaded and installed the CameraWindow 8-10-4A for my Windows 10 decktop PC (Dell) as suggested by the support page.

On the camera I went through the WiFi setup. It found my WiFi network and I entered the network password.

It then connected to the network and found my PC (device). 

When the device (PC) is selected on the camera it says it's connecting. But after a long period of that circle spinning

on the camera screen it says "Connection Failed". If I run the CameraWindow software it says no camera connected verifying it did not connect.

Any thoughts on what might prevent the connection given it is connected to the WiFi network and it does see the PC? Is there something I need to do on the PC to allow it to talk to the camera?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Finally figured it out.

While the network window is showing the camera, windows is waiting for me to "add the camera". But does not tell me that. If I don't "add it", the connection times out and fails.

So here is what I had to do. I clicked "start" and "network" on the PC. That opened network window that showed all the network connected devices. You might need to open "file explorer" and click "network" on the left side of the file explorer window.

Next turn on the camera, press the WiFi button and have it connect to the PC.

In the PC "network" window, the camera will appear. In the top of the network window, click "add devices and printers". A new window pops up. Select "Bluetooth and other devices" on the left side and then "Add Bluetooth or other device" on the right side. Another window pops up. Click "everything else". It will scan for devices and find the SX620HS camera. Select that camera. Finally, windows is happy. 

Now the camera should say its connected to the PC and the camera will appear in file explorer under "This PC". And CameraWindow program will run and connect to the camera.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

The software will only work with Windows 10 running in Desktop mode.  On the off chance you are using (S mode) this is not compatible.

Other things which might cause connection failures:

Windows Firewall

3rd party anti-virus solutions

Test by temporarily disabling the windows firewall and or disabling 3rd party antivirus if applicable.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Thank you for replying. 

Before you replied, I was searching around the internet and noticed the Canon Utilities should have a WiFi connection setup program. Mine did not after installing CameraWindow 8-10-4A as suggested by the Canon support page. So, I installed 8-10-9b. That resulted in a WiFi connection setup program appearing in the Canon Utilities. I ran it and it said set up was complete. However, the camera still fails to connect to the PC.

So, I tried disabling the windows firewall(s) and I am not running any third-party firewall. Still the camera fails to connect.

I just tried rebooting the PC for lack of a better idea. No joy there.

I found a tube video about this connection process. Although it seemed a little out of date and I could not follow it to the letter, it triggered a thought. And that was to click the "start" and then "network" on the PC. This brought up a window with connected devices. If I then try connecting from the camera, the Canon PowerShot SX620 HS appears in the list of cameras but then goes away as the camera reports Connection Failed. So they are talking. There just not happy with something.

Finally figured it out.

While the network window is showing the camera, windows is waiting for me to "add the camera". But does not tell me that. If I don't "add it", the connection times out and fails.

So here is what I had to do. I clicked "start" and "network" on the PC. That opened network window that showed all the network connected devices. You might need to open "file explorer" and click "network" on the left side of the file explorer window.

Next turn on the camera, press the WiFi button and have it connect to the PC.

In the PC "network" window, the camera will appear. In the top of the network window, click "add devices and printers". A new window pops up. Select "Bluetooth and other devices" on the left side and then "Add Bluetooth or other device" on the right side. Another window pops up. Click "everything else". It will scan for devices and find the SX620HS camera. Select that camera. Finally, windows is happy. 

Now the camera should say its connected to the PC and the camera will appear in file explorer under "This PC". And CameraWindow program will run and connect to the camera.

Announcements