cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PowerShot SX60 - Usage

AdeSho
Contributor
Firstly my apologies if my question sounds vague...I am trying to take product photos using a photo box/light tent but I cant get this camera to take sharp pictures with a shallow depth of field. I'm a novice but I've read and watched many tutorials and tried various settings combinations but nothing. Can some please give me a tip as to how to achieve a sharp image with realistic colour of the subject. The Manual Focus is hard to see the differences except at extreme levels. I dont get what effect the x2 and x4 have on the photo as they come out same size. I wish I could tether to my laptop so I can get a live view. Please help guys
8 REPLIES 8

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

Can you share an example? You could be too close for the lens to focus.

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

Absolutely samples would be helpful.

First off however,  a couple of things come to mind.

Use autofocus rathar than manual focus.  If you can't get focus then you are likely too close. Shoot in the macro mode if the objects are closer that 1.5m (about 4ft). 

You want an f-value of about 8 to get a reasonable depth of field.

As far as colour goes that depends on what kind of lighting source you are using.  The SX60HS has the ability to adjust for different lighting sources - "warm" lights like incandescent, medium like some kinds of flurorescent, or LEDs.  Your lights should have a Kelvin rating, and that is a guide to use and refer to the manual to match to the right light setting.

@AdeSho wrote:
Firstly my apologies if my question sounds vague...I am trying to take product photos using a photo box/light tent but I cant get this camera to take sharp pictures with a shallow depth of field. I'm a novice but I've read and watched many tutorials and tried various settings combinations but nothing. Can some please give me a tip as to how to achieve a sharp image with realistic colour of the subject. The Manual Focus is hard to see the differences except at extreme levels. I dont get what effect the x2 and x4 have on the photo as they come out same size. I wish I could tether to my laptop so I can get a live view. Please help guys

d.

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

Hi Tronhard thx for your reply. I will try ur suggestions. Unfortunately I can't share photos as they items are proprietary 😳

@AdeSho wrote:

Hi Tronhard thx for your reply. I will try ur suggestions. Unfortunately I can't share photos as they items are proprietary 😳

Take a photo of anything.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

@Waddizzle wrote:

@AdeSho wrote:

Take a photo of anything.

Exactly!  One photo of an everyday object similar to what you are photographing would make things much easier for us to assess and assist you.    I assume  you have have the manual and have read sections of color and close-up or macro photos?

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

My sincere apologies.....should have thought of that. The attached is the lock of a handbag my wife wanted to capture close up. It's meant gold and the bag is brown but for the life of me I couldn't get it right  ðŸ˜©My Shame.jpeg

You are photographing one of the most difficult things to photograph, a highly reflective surface.

Tim
Authority

AdeSho, 

For support on this product, please call 1-800-652-2666 and follow the prompts for Technical Support. Agents are available during the following times. All times EST, excluding holidays.

Cameras - PowerShot -- 1-800-652-2666 Monday-Friday: 9:00 am to 9:00 pm

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.
Announcements