cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PowerShot SX540HS lens won’t extend!

JH19093011
Apprentice
So I’ve had my camera so 2 years now and today when I tried to use it the lens will not extend at all and I get the lens error message, it’s says to restart but I have no idea how to do it or to free the lens. I have a new baby who I took pictures of only last week and it was fine. Today it won’t work, it hasn’t been dropped and I don’t know what to do! Please help
3 REPLIES 3

John_
Authority

First congradulations on the baby! Terrible timing for the camera to act up. What I would suggest is do a very close inspection around the rim of the lans, strong light, manifying glass...look for something that might be stuck in there like dirts, sand etc. Use a  vacuum to vacuum as best you can around the lens. By restarting it means just turn the camera off then on. You can "gently" try and help the lens extend, wiggle it as you turn the camera on, things like that. Lastly the lens may have just failed in which case it will need to be repaired which will be expensive compaired to what the camera is worth...Canon can give you an "estimate".

JH19093011
Apprentice
Thank you. ☺️ We have tried wiggling it, tried cleaning around it, blowing etc and nothing seems to be working. I can’t seem anything obvious, but it does look like the lens is maybe leaning more to one side, which makes me think it is jammed! 🤦🏽‍♀️

Well I thought of something else that may help to pull the lens out, two things actually. One would be a suction cup you can safely put on the lens and try to assist the lens out and hope it comes out and reseats itself. The other thing is similar but using a shop vac with a large enough hose to fit over the lens, the suction applied when you turn the camera on might get the lens going. I would try the suction cup first you might have those in your shower or bath on the wall...any type small enough to attach to the lens....clean the suction cup before trying it.

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements