cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PowerShot SX420 IS Battery Charging

EricTerrell
Apprentice

I just ordered the PowerShot SX420 IS for a trip I'm planning.

Does connecting a USB cable charge the battery?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

The battery charger type CB-2LF may come with two different configurations.  With an 8-shape socket, into which you plug a cable - yours will likely come with a US pin plug, but if you are going overseas you may need to get a local cable.  Alternatively, the same charger may come with the two US pins already attached, in which case you will need to get a plug adapter (not voltage adapter, as this unit is multi-voltage already).

If I have resolved your issue can you please mark my post as a resolution, otherwise other people will keep trying to offer you solutions.

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

When I look at buying a camera, I download the user manual first, that way I can look up anything I want to know.  HERE is the link to the manual.  I suggest you go through it to answer this, along with getting familiar with the features so  you are up and running when it arrives. 

Since this camera precedes the EU requirement to have all small devices have a USB charge capability, it does not appear to have that feature, but according to P144, it does come with a multi-voltage charger.

When you are away, make sure you have a copy of the manual on your phone, so you are not stuck trying to figure something out

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

EricTerrell
Apprentice

Thanks Trevor.

I did read the user manual. I didn't read anywhere that the usb cable does, or does not, charge the batteries (despite the external charger).

@EricTerrell wrote:

Thanks Trevor.

I did read the user manual. I didn't read anywhere that the usb cable does, or does not, charge the batteries (despite the external charger).

The camera is not able to be charged via the USB port.  If it could, it should explicitly say so.  The fact that there is no comment or notes saying that it cannot do it is meaningless.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Eric:

As I mentioned, the camera was released before the requirement for USB charging, thus it is not surprising the manual, written at that time, did not mention USB charging.  If this is not specific enough for you, then perhaps THIS LINK  to cameras that explicitly cannot be charged via USB will make it clear.

cheers, TREVOR

EricTerrell
Apprentice

That link is definitive. Thank you.

The battery charger type CB-2LF may come with two different configurations.  With an 8-shape socket, into which you plug a cable - yours will likely come with a US pin plug, but if you are going overseas you may need to get a local cable.  Alternatively, the same charger may come with the two US pins already attached, in which case you will need to get a plug adapter (not voltage adapter, as this unit is multi-voltage already).

If I have resolved your issue can you please mark my post as a resolution, otherwise other people will keep trying to offer you solutions.

cheers, TREVOR

Announcements