cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PowerShot G7 X Overheats in Video mode

TimP0wer
Apprentice

Hi All, for clarity-I know bugger all about cameras. I am a ju jitsu instructor trying to shoot vids for youtube. I bought this thing before lockdown and now find on trying to do what I needed to do in 2020 the **bleep** thing constantly turn off due to overheating. Anyone have a clue what i can do to resolve it?

8 REPLIES 8

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

Try a lower resolution video.

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

It would be helpful if you could share with us how you are using the camera for video?  The setting and frame rates, etc.  Are you shooting continuously, duration?  Starting, pausing, stopping, etc?

More information about recording times can be found in your manual starting on page 195.

psg7x-cu-en.pdf (c-wss.com)

Environmental conditions (ambient temperature) can also affect recording time.    

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

I have not changed whatever the defaults are as I dont know how, looking in the settings it states, 3840x2160 25.00 fps movie rec size 4k

I was trying to shoot vids about 10 mins long but never managed to do this as it overheats within 5 mins.

Strongly recommend reducing the resolution to HD (1920 x 1080).  See the link that Rick (shadowsports) provided earlier to the User Manual.

Also agree with ebiggs1 in that you'll probably want to move to a better setup for capturing video if 4K will be crucial.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

I don't believe I have ever heard about over heating in a Powershot. I suppose it can happen since the Powershot is not a true video camera. It is a digital stills camera that can do video. My 1GX has never over heated but the vids I have shot with it were not real long and never back to back. If you are a real Youtuber you may want to invest in a video camera that is designed for constant use. All the new R series cameras seem to work well for video.

Otherwise I have no idea except to slow down.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

TimP0wer
Apprentice

I will try and reduce the res and see how that goes. Not a great solution as I bought the thing on the 4K upload straight to youtube blurb by Canon and other camera experts on review pages.

Oh btw, I am not a youtuber. Maybe my first post was not clear so I will clarify, I am a martial arts instructor looking to upload vids for my students. I can assure you however that i am a "real" jujitsu instructor!

Are you sure it's overheating?

Stephen_0-1682352826559.png

Stephen_1-1682353391427.png

I am going to try and do a vid at class tonight, i will take a pic with my phone and post. it actually tells you it is shutdown due to overheating.

Announcements