cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PowerShot G7 X Mark III Catastrophic Failure

tkarnold
Contributor

I am a big fan of the Canon G7X series and am in fact on my third one. The Mark III I purchased has even clearer pictures and much better wifi. My problem is this: After only a few weeks of use, the camera froze as I was taking pictures and now will no longer turn on. I have charged batteries, exchanged batteries, etc. and no luck. I am about to return the camera. Has anyone else experienced a problem such as this? Is this in fact a defective item that has suffered a catastrophic failure?

8 REPLIES 8

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

What type of memory card are you using?  Brand?  GB capacity?  Micro-SD?

Will the camera turn on if you remove the memory card?

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

I removed the memory card and the camera briefly turned on and displayed the "Canon" logo but froze again, and after turning the camera off it would not turn on again, neither with nor without the memory card.

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

If you purchased new it should be under warranty. Contact Canon. It may also be within the return period from the seller. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

tkarnold
Contributor

Yes, I am returning it - outside the 30-day window but I got ahold of an Amazon rep and he OK'd it. The problem is I love the camera but am fearful that this is an issue with this particular model.

"fearful that this is an issue with this particular model."

I don't think that should be a concern.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

So you think I just had bad luck and got a defective camera, but shouldn't worry and buy the same model again? I do love the camera - just I have a bad taste in my mouth now. 

@tkarnold wrote:

So you think I just had bad luck and got a defective camera, but shouldn't worry and buy the same model again? I do love the camera - just I have a bad taste in my mouth now. 

Yes, I think that. I wouldn't hesitate to get a replacement. You get a one year warranty from Canon.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

Great, thanks!

Announcements