cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PowerShot A1400 Battery Contact on camera door is loose

MissyT
Apprentice

PowerShot A 1400  The metal battery contact on the door came off. I still have it, can I carefully glue it back on? Also, the battery contact has corrosion on it.  How do I safely clean that?  (I would rather fix it than get a new door as that doesn't sound like an easy procedure to remove and install.) Thanks.

8 REPLIES 8

rs-eos
Elite
Elite

Where there is visible corrosion, you may well indeed have corrosion in other hidden areas.  It would thus be best to send in the camera for repair.

However, if you want to attempt to remove at least the visible corrosion, and can hold the unit such that any liquid would not fall within the camera, you could try a mixture of dissolved salt in white vinegar.  Probably use a Q-tip to carefully apply and attempt to scrub off the corrosion.

However, it would be better to soak the item in such a solution for a period of time; probably not practical or safe to do.

Also, you'd want to then thoroughly remove the vinegar/salt solution.  Probably alcohol would be best for that.

As for re-affixing the battery contact, you'd need some kind of glue/epoxy that would bind both to metal and plastic.

Again, would be best to send in the unit for repair.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

John_
Authority

I would use epoxy on that contact to hold it and Deoxit D5 contact cleaner for the corrosion. Deoxit D5 is safe and very effective it will not harm any plastics or rubber either.

Hi John.  Which brand name of epoxy do you think I should buy?  Also, do you think should I buy Lithium Ion batteries in the future, would they be less likely to cause corrosion?  (I had Duracell Batteries in before, and I take real good care of the camera.)..Thanks so much!

Hi Missy,

I like Gorilla epoxy and have used it for years. You won't need much for that, follow the directions to apply it. Don't forget that Deoxit D5 contact cleaner too, I swear by it and have been using that for about a decade for any and all electrical cleaning applications.

Lithium batteries will last longer but to prevent corrosion be sure to remove the batteries when you are not using the camera. That will protect your camera against a battery leaking inside it. Spray the battery compartment lightly with Deoxit D5 and that will prevent any corrosion in the future. Use a Q-Tip to wipe the contacts off inside the camera after letting the Deoxit D5 work for about 10 minutes.

Thanks so much for all your help John!  I did find the Gorilla Epoxy, now for the Deoxit-D5, is there a retail store that sells it, or do I have to buy it online??

Thanks again John, I really appreciate all your help, you saved me from having to buy a new door and trying to figure out how to put that on 🙂

You're very welcome Missy, I  buy that Deoxit D5 spray on Amazon

Thanks again John, for your time. Best advice ever!

You are very welcome Missy!

Announcements