cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lens repair

ng3689
Apprentice

My Canon Powershot Elph 180 suffered it's second lense system damage; I accidentally ran over it while mountain biking and it's sections of the lense are pushed in at weird angles, you can hear something shaking inside and it forgot what time it is.

What should I do to fix this?

Last time this happened (after my RC car hit it hard), the top section was pushed in a bit but I put down all my weight on it and crushed it back in but it did damage the opening and closing mechanisms; When going out, it was normal but going it, you could feel the camera shaking a bit and last Sunday, the bottom sections gear started having issues, to open it, I have to push the lense in a bit since it doesn't go full in a lot and going back in, I have to turn the lense in a certain direction or else one of the gears spins around inside and eventually an error message pops up.
damage.png

9 REPLIES 9

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

Quite frankly, you are flogging a dead horse here.  Sometimes you just need to accept that the cost of repair, if one is even practical considering the damage, is likely more than the camera is worth.  This is a six year-old camera and it is debatable that Canon would even try to repair it.

It seems you are quite hard on your camera gear, so I would suggest shopping around for a camera that is built for abuse: in that context the Olympus TG6 is a likely candidate and it is generally regarded as the best in class for this kind of unit.

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

ng3689
Apprentice

While I would love to get an Olympus TG6, it is way above my price range, however I will be getting a new Canon camera very soon, the model, I'm not certain yet but a new version of this is at the top of my price range.

Since I've posted this, I've removed the lens tower, unjammed it and now I gotta put it back on. I'm pretty sure I can fix it since there is much other damage but like I said above, it's time for a new camera.

Thanks for your help

Good luck with the repair.  I would advise you to take good care of any new camera you get! 🙄

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

MikeSowsun
Authority
Authority

You can buy a nice second hand Canon Powershot Elph 180 for about $100-$150 on eBay or elsewhere. That is substantially less than Canon would charge you to repair it. 

My advice is to sell your broken 
Elph 180 for parts and then use the proceeds towards buying another one, or something else in your price range. 

Mike Sowsun

I have found a Canon Powershot 300 or so for a superior price (used).

I'm going to put my old camera back together and just use it for a nice image viewing device since everything is pretty jacked up in it anyways... The screen went out for about 4 months during the winter and it did it again during repair (where it glows navy blue, you can faintly see the display and there a several lines across the screen), there's a dead spot on the screen and the microphone fell out.

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

If you are looking for a replacement camera, depending on the features you need, the Canon PowerShot D20 is a tough, shock and water resistant camera see a written review HERE and a video review HERE .  You can get them on eBay for a reasonable price and it may be more capable of taking the hard knocks.

cheers, TREVOR

Hazel_T
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hi ng3689,

Through Canon support we are not able to provide repair instructions. For an issue like this we would recommend either sending the camera in to our factory service center or replacing it through our Canon Upgrade Program.

The Canon Upgrade Program allows you to replace your current camera with a new or refurbished Canon camera for a discounted price and have it shipped via ground delivery. The cameras offered through this program carry a one year warranty. The original non-functioning camera would then be returned to Canon USA for recycling using a prepaid shipping label that would be provided. If you would like to take part in this option, please call our Sales Department at (866) 443-8002 from 9 a.m. to 9 p.m. Eastern time Monday through Saturday. Let them know you have been working with email technical support and that the Canon Upgrade Program was offered. Be sure to have your serial number for your camera at the time of your call.

If you want to send the camera in to one of our factory service centers, Canon U.S.A., Inc. has created a new online repair portal that allows you to set up service in a few simple steps. The repair portal gives you the ability to set up service for multiple pieces of equipment at once, and to receive a repair estimate in the majority of cases, depending on your model and issue. The portal also allows you to upload images or videos that will assist us in repairing your product. You can also select how you wish to be notified of the progress of your repair. The portal's service history section allows you to view all services that have been performed on any of your camera or video products since January 7, 2020.

Please follow the link below to access our online repair

https://mycanon.usa.canon.com/signin

Instructions for Accessing and Using the Online Repair Portal

You will need to access or create your My Canon Account.

If you already have a My Canon Account and your product is already registered, simply click on the “Get Repair Services” link on the left menu and follow the onscreen instructions to arrange for service for your product.

If you have a My Canon Account and your product is not registered, you must register your product first. Click on the “Get Repair Services” link on the left menu, then click on the “Register Product” link on the right. After your product is registered, click on the “Get Repair Service” link on the left menu and follow the onscreen instructions to arrange for service for your product.

If you do not have a My Canon Account, you will need to create one. After you create your account, click on the “Add Product” link to register your first product. After your product is registered, click on the “Get Repair Service” link on the left menu and follow the onscreen instructions to arrange for service for your product.

Once you have completed the repair request, you will have an opportunity to print a copy of the request for your records. This request form will also contain shipping instructions and an address label that you will attach to the outside of your shipping box when mailing your equipment for repair.

ng3689
Apprentice

Thanks yall for the help, I got a Canon Powershot Digital Elph S400 yesterday and a Gopro.

Good luck with your new gear!

cheers, TREVOR

Announcements