cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lens Error PowerShot SD870 IS

JohnL57
Apprentice

I have a PowerShot SD870 IS that I hadn't used in a long time.  I charged the battery and the camera worked fine for a couple of minutes then the lens wouldn't retract and I got a "Lens Error".  I charged the battery again, I tried starting the camera while holding down the shutter button, and I tried moving a piece of paper around the lens body (to try to clear any obstruction if there was one), but none of that helped.  Does anyone have any other suggestions?  I was wondering if the camera battery is like a car battery where you can charge it, but it still doesn't have enough power.  I don't have another battery or the AC adapter.

1 REPLY 1

alexben
Apprentice

@JohnL57poly clinic wrote:

I have a PowerShot SD870 IS that I hadn't used in a long time.  I charged the battery and the camera worked fine for a couple of minutes then the lens wouldn't retract and I got a "Lens Error".  I charged the battery again, I tried starting the camera while holding down the shutter button, and I tried moving a piece of paper around the lens body (to try to clear any obstruction if there was one), but none of that helped.  Does anyone have any other suggestions?  I was wondering if the camera battery is like a car battery where you can charge it, but it still doesn't have enough power.  I don't have another battery or the AC adapter.

It sounds like you’ve covered most of the basics. A "Lens Error" often points to a mechanical issue rather than battery power. If cleaning and recharging didn’t help, consider trying a different battery if possible or take the camera to a repair service.

Announcements