cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G7X Mark II or Mark III for non 4K video???

jawlingomes
Apprentice

Hi everyone,

I’ve been interested in recording some videos for my hobby and I’ve been stuck between these two cameras. It would probably be strictly for recording video as I also have a Canon EOS SL1 with various lenses.

But when I read between the Mark II and Mark III the biggest differences seem to be the Mark III’s ability to use an external mic and record in 4K. I’m not interested in recording in 4k because I feel like most people won’t benefit from the increased resolution, and apparently the Mark III overheats anyways when recording in 4K.

Given that I’ll be recording inside where wind is not an issue, would I still benefit from a Mark III or should I wait for a nice Black Friday sale and just pick up the Mark II? I watched some video comparisons between the two and I felt like the Mark III had better video quality in general compared to the II but I’m not sure if that’s because of the recording conditions or what.

3 REPLIES 3

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Many Canon items seem to already have Black Friday sale prices.  

If you want to be a serious hobbyist, then I suggest that you buy an actual camcorder.  The G7x is a still photo camera, first and foremost.  It just happens to [be able to record short] video clips.  

Personally, I think the SL3 would be a better choice than a point and shoot like the G7X.  Having interchangeable lenses is an invaluable luxury.  But I still feel the best path would be a camcorder.  

You should also give some thought to video editing software.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Neither, get a real video camcorder.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

I got to thinking after that reply, the reasoning?  You have a stills camera why buy another stills camera when you want to shoot vids?  Get the camcorder.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements